Fiddle Yard design Help

Earl Bathurst

I have a diffle yard board which is 12ft long by 18inches wide. Out of that space I need to make a siding long enough to hold a HST set which is about 7 or 8 cars long. But cant for the life of me think how to incorporate a curve and my 3way points into the fiddle yard.

Does anyone have a solution that I could use?

Thanks

Scott

Is there a reason why you need to include a curve & 3 way turnout? Could you not think of using a traverser or cassettes instead. This would certainly increase storage capacity and flexibility.

Just thinkin'

Eric

Hi Eric I don't have room for a transverser and not a fan or cassettes.

Graham its a double track main line which will split going into the fiddle yard im hoping to get about 4 tracks per line so in total I should get 8+ tracks in the fiddle yard. My layout is a continuous run so I have a well in the middle. The problem im having is that because I have to have a curve either end of the board time you put the points in im loosing valuable storage space for my rolling stock. One option I had a look at is to put the points before the curve in the fiddle yard but means curving all the storage tracks. 

My problem is trying to visualise it (I cant ) :)

Thanks

Scott

If all storage tracks in the fiddle yard are the same length you will loose the length of four points, but you can have one long one each way and one short one which might help. If you have to accomodate curves at either end you will only end up with 4' roads (or a 6', 2x4' and a 2'!)

Putting the points on the curve will not help - having to accommodate the very large radiuses required makes for a longer junction, it is a little counter intuitive but try it and you will see.

Hi

Thanks for the help.

Graham thank you that is what I was looking for but couldn't visualise it. So what you have drawn should fit the space available?

Scott

Hi Scott,

Heres the sort of thing i would aim for, curve one end of pointwork and keep the other on the straight, the centre road is obviously reversible and will hold an 8 car HST no problem.

attachicon.giffy1.png

Cheers 

Graham.

Hi Scott,

Its difficult to say wether that would fit or not as i don't have the exact dimensions but i would suggest either looking at track planning sofware like Mickey suggested or if your more hands on like myself i would  go on to Peco's website and print off some point templates and lay it out on to what baseboards you have.

Cheers

Graham.

Hi Earl,

I've taken the liberty of seeing what I could do on XTrackCad using Peco points as I've alreaddy planned and built with similar contraints.   There are a couple of 3 ways and I've assumed that the board leading away are 2 feet wide at each end.  Here's the result:-

post-7902-0-31114200-1366145910_thumb.jpg

As long as you're okay with the occasional 2nd radius curve and mostly 3rd radius it would work.  If you are going for close coupled rolling stock then a redraft might be needed :O :-)

Cheers

Bryant

Hi Bryant

Thanks for that. It looks brilliant. On the plan are those double slips?

As for radius im not working on set track radius im going to use 24 inch if possible or possibly 21 inch if I cant get the 24 in (im using the track seta curves). The board as you have drawn are correct. As for stock I don't think I have anything really close coupled. Not sure what set track curves work out compares to what im using?

Thanks again for the plan its really helpful.

Scott

Hi Bryant

Thanks for that. It looks brilliant. On the plan are those double slips?

As for radius im not working on set track radius im going to use 24 inch if possible or possibly 21 inch if I cant get the 24 in (im using the track seta curves). The board as you have drawn are correct. As for stock I don't think I have anything really close coupled. Not sure what set track curves work out compares to what im using?

Thanks again for the plan its really helpful.

Scott

No problem Scott.

In the original plan there are two double slips to enable bidirectional entry into the fiddle yard and just for good measure I stuck in two 3 ways. 

I've attached a modified plan where the curves no tighter than 3rd radius (21") via a quick bit of butchery. At least 3 to 4 roads would take an HST length train as you describe. Either side the start point into the yard is 4 to 4.5 feet up from the bottom point of the yard and you may be struggling to use 24" radius unless you are happy to cut across the corners. As the plan shows now it is very tight!

post-7902-0-54315600-1366232564_thumb.jpg

Couple of caveats:-

If your stock was close coupled you'd need no tighter than 36" curves to avoid derailments

If memory serves me the whole set of tracksettas are 18", 21", 24", 30", 26", 42" and 60", plus 1 straight one

Hope that helps

Bryant

Hi Bryant

Thanks for the modification. I really like it. never used double slips tbh and have always steered away from them. What could u use instead of them

Also the points what size are they, I have a few of the large radius but thinking they might be too long for the plan you have peovided?

Regards

Scott

Hi Bryant

Thanks for the modification. I really like it. never used double slips tbh and have always steered away from them. What could u use instead of them

Also the points what size are they, I have a few of the large radius but thinking they might be too long for the plan you have peovided?

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott

Double slips are effectively two points merged together, two points can be used as a substitute however breifly you'll be down to a single line. In the plan all the straight line points are short radius. Since your comments I've modded the design to move away from double slips  (I used them as a space saver) and added a couple of three ways which means the entry point to the fiddle yard has moved to 5 feet out.

post-7902-0-29905100-1366487735_thumb.jpg

In total for the amended plan you'll need 4 curved lefts, 4 curved right, 4 three ways, 2 short rights and 1 short lefts.  You might be able to use a long radius for the one at the bottom left but thats about it. What track code are you building to?

Cheers

Bryant

Archived