Huddersfield Historical Railway Region

freebs

I'm currently aiming to set my layout in the Huddersfield area of West Yorkshire, in the transition era, but I'm having great difficulty in establishing what railway region/ colourscheme it would be using. Whilst not modelling Huddersfield station itself (that would be an undertaking an a half) -I'm modelling a fictitional station build, but now coming to the stage of detailing and would very much like to put authentic signs up. Would anyone be able to help or am I best going Modern image and running Heritage trains through the station ;)

cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee,

Starting point for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huddersfield_railway_station

Includes all railway companies for the area.

If you are local to Huddersfield - a visit to the club will be a benefit as they have a pretty extensive library.

Thanks

I'm currently aiming to set my layout in the Huddersfield area of West Yorkshire, in the transition era, but I'm having great difficulty in establishing what railway region/ colourscheme it would be using. Whilst not modelling Huddersfield station itself (that would be an undertaking an a half) -I'm modelling a fictitional station build, but now coming to the stage of detailing and would very much like to put authentic signs up. Would anyone be able to help or am I best going Modern image and running Heritage trains through the station ;)

cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Starting point for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huddersfield_railway_station

Includes all railway companies for the area.

If you are local to Huddersfield - a visit to the club will be a benefit as they have a pretty extensive library.

Thanks

Aha - I'm being thick - I never saw the History panel on the right. I'd be sorted if I were to go pre-nationalisation. Post Nationalisation it looks like we were North Eastern region which is a truly hideous livery, unless you're a Blackpool fan, but as they were merged with Eastern Region in 1967 - It looks like I'll be looking at Eastern Region at Merger date - 1967. Would anybody concur?

Cheers 

and sorry for being a bit ignorant in the railway history dept...

I doubt that all the station signage was changed immediately in 1967. I remember recovering some orange-coloured NE Region signs from a room at Knaresborough in 1973 and I am fairly sure that station went straight from orange to the black and white BR corporate type signs, in the early 70's.

I believe the ER/NER steam sheds had all closed by September 1967, hence apart from through workings from the north-west, the case for any local steam working with ER signage in the West Yorks area would seem quite slender.

Of course you could always do a Hebden Bridge and use L & Y signs !

See

I doubt that all the station signage was changed immediately in 1967. I remember recovering some orange-coloured NE Region signs from a room at Knaresborough in 1973 and I am fairly sure that station went straight from orange to the black and white BR corporate type signs, in the early 70's.

I believe the ER/NER steam sheds had all closed by September 1967, hence apart from through workings from the north-west, the case for any local steam working with ER signage in the West Yorks area would seem quite slender.

Of course you could always do a Hebden Bridge and use L & Y signs !

See - this is why I'm so confused. 

Sod it - this sounds like a good idea - it's my railway, I'll do that! :)

cheers!

The black and white signs were part of the BR corporate image (blue and blue/grey liveries etc) which appeared in about 1965.  So if the orange signs were replaced after 1967 then the new ones would have been black and white. 

ISTR there were still orange running-in boards at Newcastle in 1970. The boundary between the LM region and the NE region was, as I recall, the Eastern portals of Standedge Tunnel.

Why not try somewhere like Golcar, Slaithwaite or Marsden? All were open until 1968, Marsden never closed. 

Archived