Bachmann V2 Class 60860 ?Durham School? In BR Black Early Emblem Livery. 31-564.

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the name plates from Bachmanns  V2  “Durham School” In BR Black Early Emblem Livery. (31-564) without damaging the model. I ask as l d like to renumber this version to an un named example, but suspect that the name plates are actually stuck on to the body/, has anyone tried this?

Bob.C

Only on a much earlier incarnation of this body, when it still had a split chassis mechanism. As I recall it, the dummy splasher on which the nameplate is mounted broke off fairly cleanly from the footplate to which it was cemented. As is always the case the first one attempted came away far more easily than the second. A little smoothing down and some black paint concealed the removal.

Now, the current model's body appears to be as it was before, aside from some minor changes for chassis attachment. Take a look form the underside to see if there are now locating pins for the dummy splasher. Wiggle the component to see if any air space appears on the join line and to assess how strong any bond may be. In reality the raised land on the footplate on which the dummy splasher sits is a recess; so if there is damage, one solution would be to cut out the raised section, and cement a thin piece of black plasticard sheet underneath.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for that solution, to be honest l think its more brutal than l had anticipated, dibt fancy the idea of having to fill in gaps on a new model so l think l ll might see if l can locate an older boby shell, and see if I can get that to fit.

Many thanks for your advice

Bob.C

No trouble getting the old body shell onto the new chassis, a quick side by side comparison will show the small mods required. At the front the moulding of the frames needs to be trimmed back a millimetre or so (the change is visible in the new version on the footplate underside) at the rear the central screw boss under the cab has to be removed, and a hole made in the footplate for at least one of the securing screws. The representation of the rear of the loco dragbox needs a broad slot in it to clear the tender drawbar. Literally five minutes to accomplish, and may all be done by eye.

• RMweb Premium

No trouble getting the old body shell onto the new chassis, a quick side by side comparison will show the small mods required. At the front the moulding of the frames needs to be trimmed back a millimetre or so (the change is visible in the new version on the footplate underside) at the rear the central screw boss under the cab has to be removed, and a hole made in the footplate for at least one of the securing screws. The representation of the rear of the loco dragbox needs a broad slot in it to clear the tender drawbar. Literally five minutes to accomplish, and may all be done by eye.

Many thanks for the above I think this is the direction I ll go,its more within my capabilities!  l wonder if its possible to obtain the new chassis as a replacement part like the old versions?

Cheers Bob.C

Not a chance based on the answers I and others have had, and what Bachmann have put out in interviews. Bach made a rod for their backs supplying the old split chassis spares, and have said more than once it gave a very poor commercial return. Waiting patiently for the discount on a slow selling version of the model in question, or getting a 'sold as seen' repaired return at a show has become my standard method of getting chassis, or indeed any other spares; then selling on those parts not required.

Then when you go to sell the parts your activity has generated, you discover that despite fairly frequent laments of 'spares are not available', the demand is usually not that great, and the price folks are willing to offer is low. I can see why there is no longer the spares retail activity the UK market once supported: at least a couple of retailers with good availability of parts from most current and many discontinued RTR models...

• RMweb Premium

Not a chance based on the answers I and others have had, and what Bachmann have put out in interviews. Bach made a rod for their backs supplying the old split chassis spares, and have said more than once it gave a very poor commercial return. Waiting patiently for the discount on a slow selling version of the model in question, or getting a 'sold as seen' repaired return at a show has become my standard method of getting chassis, or indeed any other spares; then selling on those parts not required.

Then when you go to sell the parts your activity has generated, you discover that despite fairly frequent laments of 'spares are not available', the demand is usually not that great, and the price folks are willing to offer is low. I can see why there is no longer the spares retail activity the UK market once supported: at least a couple of retailers with good availability of parts from most current and many discontinued RTR models...

Oh dear, looks like l ll be using a brand new version chassis for my converstion then, ho hum its only money  :-(

Thank you for your advice

Bob.C

Archived