Bachmann 3F (DCC fitted) runs erratically on DC

edcayton

I bought a Bachmann 3F yesterday. The only way to get a weathered one was to get a DCC fitted one, I was told this would run fine on DC but it doesn't. As it slows to a crawl the running becomes jerky. I've had it running in for a couple of hours now and it hasn't improved.

Do I need to remove the DCC chip and fit what I presume is tthe blanking plate that is in the box? This is the first DCC fitted loco I have had, although I have been told before that there should be no problem.

Contoller is a standard Bachmann train set one that is fine for other loco's.

Thanks

Ed

Should this be in the DCC forum?

I think you should return it to where you bought it from.

It sounds like something is tight or sticking or it may be a quartering problem.

There should normally be no problem in running a dcc fitted loco on DC.

If you can't return it, you might know of someone with a Dcc system who might be able to reset the chip for you.

You can of course replace the chip with a blanking plate but if the problem is a tight area or quartering problem removing the Dcc chip won't fix it.

Ed, is your 3F the Jinty tank or the 0-6-0 tender loco? I can't help you with the Jinty but I have found that the tender version needs the middle set of drivers to be absolutely spotless for reliable slow running. The front & rear sets appear to be picking up power from the track OK but as soon as there is any dirt on the middle drivers it coughs and splutters at low speed.

I don't know what the permanent solution is but it might help you to eliminate the DCC aspect from the problem.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

But on the other hand, it's a quick check to unplug the decoder and install the blanking plate and see what the running of the chassis is like with the decoder out of circuit, to determine whether the problem is thus eliminated. that's what I would do, being incurably curious and all...

I would second this comment.  As a rule I remove all DCC chips and substitute blanking plates for my analogue layout.  The Blue Pullman was a case in point where I had to try running it first  - it was appallingly slow with the chips fitted.  It is also very true that Bachmann locomotives require 'running in' and there can be quite dramtic improvements in running quality after half an hour - sometimes less.  Sometimes locomotives run very well straight out of the box, sometimes not.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

Hope you are feeling better, take care

Ray

Archived