Foam-core Baseboard construction

I am looking for some advice on the baseboard construction for an O gauge shunting layout. It will be constructed in 3 modules, approx. 800mm long by 500mm deep. (one will be shortened slightly since the room is a little shy of 2400mm wide.

I was thinking of 80mm strips of 5mm thick foam-core to form the framing. I was thinking of having 2 intermediate cross members (approx. 265mm intervals) with an extra frame member zig-zagging between these to give support and add rigidity to the frame.

What sort of stock would you be thinking of using? 

I'm sure you'd be ok with plastic or etched brass locos but bear in mind how heavy whitemetal locos can be in 7mm,  you might get an expensive re-creation of a certain Thomas the tank engine story :O 

The thicker insulation foam is still very light, fairly cheap and easy to work with but would give you a bit more strength.

Well, my main locomotive for this layout would be an Ixion Hudswell Clarke. I do have a Beyer Peacock product that has a steel slug in the boilder for weight, but I'm hoping to sell that on in order to fund another locomotive kit purchase.

I have seen it done where the track base was 3 layers of 5mm foam-core laminated to form a stronger beam, and I may use this. It will also help raise the level of the track a little (2 scale feet) so that I can form ditches, and have a little bit of undulation in the ground, and an opportunity to plant any buildings more firmly into the space.

Archived