Associated Octel Factory At Plumley - any photos of rail activity?

JohnH

Passed the site of the former Octel factory near Plumley, Cheshire last week (travelling by train from Delamere to Manchester) I've seen photos on the web of the remaining trackwork at the site but I wondered if anyone had any pictures of rail tank wagons (or other activity)at the factory when it was operational?

Many thanks as always for any help.

Hi John,

Paul Bartletts Zenfolio wagon site has pictures of the wagons involved in close up.

David Ratcliffe's recent Freight Train Formations book by Ian Allan has pictures of the trains involved and descriptions of the traffic movements to Ellesmere Port.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Thanks Dave.

David Ratcliffes book prompted my interest in the Plumley factory and its operations.

I would love to see some pictures of the rail infrastructure in use as I think it would make a great model factory "In the middle of nowhwere" that would be ideal for a layout.

Thanks Dave.

David Ratcliffes book prompted my interest in the Plumley factory and its operations.

I would love to see some pictures of the rail infrastructure in use as I think it would make a great model factory "In the middle of nowhwere" that would be ideal for a layout.

...driving limestone trains past the factory I didn't get the impression that it was in the middle of nowhere John but the nature of the products did call for some degree of separation. Unfortunately, Garry Brookes pictures are no longer available...they showed some useful views around the area of the works. A period large scale map of the area should show the track layout within the works.

Railway Archive No 16 contains an excellent article by Peter Fidzuck on Associated Octel - contact The Lightmoor Press if you're interested.  

The Salt Museum at Northwich has a publication in its archive called 'Octel - Celebrating the first 60 years' or else 'The Octel Contribution'. Ellesmere Port public library has the other. These contain aerial views which will help you understand the site....basically, there is little more than a single siding off the Chester to Manchester line which curves through 90 degrees within the works and serves several buildings. The history and development of the company and its sites is also told.

Cheers

Dave

If you look on Paul's site there are some pictures showing the tanks on the Octel sidings where they cross the road that runs parallel to the mainline.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/associatedocteltankwagon/hb5bbde8#h11aa47ef

Also one here in a different collection http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ferryassociatedoctel/e21f71c8e

I didn't go there very often, but Trev Mann regularly visited. Amazing place, the wagons were parked in the open outside the security gates alongside a road.

It always felt like the middle of nowhere to me!

Edited by hmrspaul

Having visited the site a few years ago, it does seem surprising to see that the wagons were left by the road in that manner.

The Salt Museum at Northwich has a publication in its archive called 'Octel - Celebrating the first 60 years' or else 'The Octel Contribution'. Ellesmere Port public library has the other. These contain aerial views which will help you understand the site....basically, there is little more than a single siding off the Chester to Manchester line which curves through 90 degrees within the works and serves several buildings. The history and development of the company and its sites is also told.

Cheers

Dave

You only have to look at the aerial shots on Google Maps to see that there was substantially more than a single siding on the site, in earlier days at least. I took some pictures of the site a few years ago and you can see from the remains of the track that there were at least four sidings at one time.

post-6139-0-62407500-1366307996_thumb.jpg

post-6139-0-26507400-1366308168_thumb.jpg

post-6139-0-70641400-1366308215_thumb.jpg

post-6139-0-39242600-1366308290_thumb.jpg

Edited by bennyboy
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

Just been reading this topic and thought you might like to see some slides I took when the factory was still working.

Not certain of the date (I was never one for dates but will try and route out the processing date for them if any one is interested)..

Working was I think usually a class 40 but not this day, oh well!

Think I might have a few more somewhere but very poor quality.

post-19432-0-66789400-1425754674.jpg

post-19432-0-40625100-1425754724.jpg

post-19432-0-82392100-1425754755.jpg

post-19432-0-69063500-1425754772.jpg

post-19432-0-02140600-1425754794.jpg

post-19432-0-63573800-1425754819.jpg

• Like 6

....remember that the tanks were unbraked....the ferryvans acted as brakeforce in the train.

There is one of my pictures of such a consist in David Ratcliffe's 'Freight-Train Formations' book at Hartford CLC.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

Just been reading this topic and thought you might like to see some slides I took when the factory was still working.

Not certain of the date (I was never one for dates but will try and route out the processing date for them if any one is interested)..

Working was I think usually a class 40 but not this day, oh well!

Think I might have a few more somewhere but very poor quality.

Hi Harry if you have any more I would love to see them and the date if you have them that would be great :) 

Harry, thanks very much for posting these photos! I'm sorry I've only just noticed your response to my topic that I started all those years ago...

If you do have any more pictures, please post some more :)

Thanks again.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CheshiresRailways/permalink/2833773293561490/ is worth a look for some photos of two workings at the Octel plant, along with the necessary manoeuvres leaving trainloads sitting on the main lines, and views of the works "shunter" in action.