Wiring help please

RTJ

Hi, my first 'O' gauge layout - only about 10 feet long - but I can't get my head around how to wire it.

My 'OO' layout is DCC - so that's 'easy', but this micro-layout is to be controlled by a Morley Vanguard (Analogue) unit, BUT I want to keep the wiring layout so that I can, if the whim takes me, convert easily to DCC. At present this is not economically feasible.

The Morley unit has two independent controllers, so what I was hoping I could do was to have two independent areas of the layout, but I've no idea where to put the isolating section. (The track is Peco with a mixture of points; isolating fishplates have been put in the usual position in the points/turnouts).

Any advice gratefully received.

Richard

Document1.doc

Hi Richard

I have looked at the diagram and my only conclusion is that you will need to have two breaks, one each on the bottom Y arms running into the main line. If you use a double pole single throw switch you should be able to accommodate the change over quite easily as you only need the switch in one side at each of the turnouts as one side should be running into an insulated rail joiner at the frog in the usual way. Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Manxman 110

I would divide the layout in 4 sections as shown and connect each section to a 2 way centre off switch so that they can be connected to either controller, also if you want to park locos on any of the dead ends make those self isolating by the points or inlude a simple single pole isolating switch to turn off any parking place. This will give you full flexibility to operate with two controllers and several locos.

Keith

post-3169-0-98321000-1366230901.png

• RMweb Gold

Keiths recommendations are the norm for a DC layout and will work well. However if you expect to go to DCC you may wish to reconsider. With DC self isolating points are great with DCC you no longer want that so I would wire up the layout with insolation after the points and then a new wire to the section following. These can be connected through an isolating switch for DC use. But the change to DCC will not need any changes to the track. If you want to go that way I could do you a diagram.

Don

Hi, Yes, it would be much easier but much more expensive...

1. I would need to upgrade my NCE system with a 2.5A PS, and,

2. Each loco (and I have 5) would need chipping - and I would very tempted to convert them to 'sound' at the same time.

This way I can go it all gradually...

Thanks,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Keiths recommendations are the norm for a DC layout and will work well. However if you expect to go to DCC you may wish to reconsider. With DC self isolating points are great with DCC you no longer want that so I would wire up the layout with insolation after the points and then a new wire to the section following. These can be connected through an isolating switch for DC use. But the change to DCC will not need any changes to the track. If you want to go that way I could do you a diagram.

Don

Thanks Don, If it's not too much of a pain then I would gratefully receive a diagram!

BW

Richard

Archived