• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents

Much more to follow soon. I have some stuff to kitbuild which i'm really looking forward too.

I quite fancy attacking some planked stuff. I feel a china clay rake coming on.

Best regards

Eric & Gripper

Thanks Gents

Much more to follow soon. I have some stuff to kitbuild which i'm really looking forward too.

I quite fancy attacking some planked stuff. I feel a china clay rake coming on.

Best regards

Eric & Gripper

If you're thinking of a china-clay rake, then the Cambrian SR 5-planker (wartime build) is apparently imminent.

If you're thinking of a china-clay rake, then the Cambrian SR 5-planker (wartime build) is apparently imminent.

Thank you Brian.

They are a thing of infinite beauty,complexity and colour. In a hobby so fully of liveries weathering and the application of the patch up jobs and general decay is what really makes it for me.Certainly the more variety the better in a china clay rake.I'll be looking out for the Cambrian one then, as well.I'm thinking 50/50 build and rtr. I  suppose i just like the Bachmann hoods..

Best regards 

Eric & Gripper

In brief 

A wash of very thinned railmatch roof dirt over the planking.Wipe of excess and reapply three times

Downward stokes with a cotton bud to give some direction to rain washed soot.in the nooks and crannies.

Pick out rust spots with a rusty wash around bolt heads raised parts  on the body and framing.This wash will form rings around such detail.

tip: The lighter rust is new rust ,the darker the shade the older the rust .Try mixing colours and use at least three or four shades for rust to show a transition.

Using the dry brushing techinique, minimal paint on 3/0 brush wipe over raised bolt heads to highlight rusty ones .

Equally wipe over with Railmatch weathered black to highlight the what is now termed Traffic film. Anything that sticks above the surface will catch muck in transit.

So by this stage you have highlighted all the detail one way or another. I may look a little glaring close up but at the proper viewing distnace it really is spectacular .

At this stage you can give the roof a wash or (airbush)spray with Railmatch Roof Dirt with some overspill /spray on the uppermost planks.like wise the frames would benefit from some 

Undrefame dirt in at least 3 shades to create shadows and highlights.topping of axlebox covers with green blacks implies some sort of maintenance. Rusty otherwise.

Some talcum powder mixed into the underframe shades will give some Texture to this low slung collector of debris the braking system.

Hey Prestflo

Weathered vans for the pickup goods

Always try and use good reference photos and only paint what you can see.not what you think you see.

Best regards for now

Eric& Gripper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived