Not so Tubby Duff.

5Bel

Hi All,

I have had a Heljan 47 for ages but the body was becoming increasingly difficult to get off the chassis, so I thought about putting the chassis in an old Lima model I had. This was going well until I ruined the Lima body with over zealous paint stripping. The project got put on the to do one day pile until I managed to pick up a ViTrains body for £7.50. I stripped the paint using Meths as suggested on this site and got to work slimming the chassis down.

post-7006-0-39982200-1366288998.jpg

I had to take off 1mm from each side, but armed with a sharp dreadnought file I set about the task. It took nearly an hour to get the chassis to fit it's new host! A chamfer along the top edge was required to get a snug fit and the rubber motor housings were cut down also.

post-7006-0-70509800-1366289368.jpg

post-7006-0-75399000-1366289396.jpg

So far so good. I will use Heljan handrails and detailing parts and it will be painted two tone green FYE with a tops number. Comments welcome as always.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments, this will be a bit of a slow burning project while I get on with other jobs. The ride height seems a little low by about 1mm and I am undecided whether to make the bogies a bit narrower. The meths paint stripping method was a good tip. I have also done my Lima 31 and Lima 40 body. It doesn't harm the plastic in any way. I am going to try a couple of old Airfix brakes next. Once again thanks for the comments.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Archived