XO4 Worm removal

uax6

• RMweb Premium

Having aquired a few XO4's from various places, I have decided to go through some stock and replace the 28:1 gearsets with 40:1 gearsets. Changing the axle mounted gear is fairly easy, but how do you get the worm off the XO4 shaft?

Is there an easy way, as the ones I've tried to remove seem to be very firmly on, and theres not much room to the front bearing of the motor itself, which I don't want to damage.

Thanks

Andy G

I have removed X04 worms using a sheet of steel with a slot cut into it just larger than the shaft diameter - inserting the slot between the worm and front plate, then tapping the end of the shaft with a hammer, so that the worm is being held by the steel sheet, while the tapping loosens the worm.  If this doesnt make sense, let me know and I will take a photo!  Alistair is right though, the easiest and best way is to use a worm puller.

The way I have done it for years is with the aid of a wooden clothes peg ! You also need a vice , hammer and a drift thinner than the motor shaft. Wooden clothes pegs have two half round cut outs at the clothes line end of them. the inner one smaller is just the right size to clamp the worm and being nice and soft wont mark or damage the worm , now clamp the peg in the vice taking care not to catch the motor in any way,and drive the shaft out of the worm with the hammer ,using a drift as the shaft goes though the worm ,even to horrify some of you even more a nail has been used as a drift in desperation in the past but i have been doing this way since I was a kid in the early 70s with no problems or damaged worms

• RMweb Premium

Graham, I like your style, It's cheap and cheerful, and Fred Dibnah would be proud of you... Off to raid the freezer for a wooden clothes peg (don't ask!!!)

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Graham, I like your style, It's cheap and cheerful, and Fred Dibnah would be proud of you... Off to raid the freezer for a wooden clothes peg (don't ask!!!)

Andy

Well go did it work for you !

I wont claim this as my ideal as i am pretty sure I read it in a magazine years ago

Another tip is to heat the worm;- being brass, it expands more than the steel shaft, & can usually be levered off with needle-nose pliers..

Nice idea - I should have thought of that!  How hot would you heat it - dip in hot water or somewhat higher?

Simon

Archived