The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

To teach, or not to teach?

S.A.C Martin

Hi Tony - I have an A at GCSE in maths, became a D at A level so the numeracy test is slightly scary!

I didn't originally follow it for fear of not being able to help Charlotte. Now I have the time to do it, I'm going to try and go for it.

My stumbling block at present is School Directs "three years work experience" which I would have had, had the company I worked for not got into trouble and made me redundant in March. I am going to ring my preferred schools tomorrow to see if there is any elasticity on that.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony - I have an A at GCSE in maths, became a D at A level so the numeracy test is slightly scary!

I didn't originally follow it for fear of not being able to help Charlotte. Now I have the time to do it, I'm going to try and go for it.

My stumbling block at present is School Directs "three years work experience" which I would have had, had the company I worked for not got into trouble and made me redundant in March. I am going to ring my preferred schools tomorrow to see if there is any elasticity on that.

I noted the three year experience requirement too. Otherwise it is the other scheme where you don't get paid and possibly have to pay tuition? Once it starts mentioning bursaries I get confused! Hopefully something can be resolved! I'm trying to work out when the earliest my son will start work. He has had an extra undergraduate year overseas and wants to go to study in Sweden for 2 years after he graduates next year. His mother doesn't plan to retire until he starts work!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

The next person (and anyone else) to ignore this gets a 24-hour suspension.

Shouldn't that be detention?

Simon, I have taught for thirty five years now and I must admit that the thought of retirement is crossing my mind more and more frequently these days. I think mainly because it is becoming so tiring. However, It is also very rewarding. Yes, there can be lots of bad moments, the things that don't go right, the external pressures, the often thankless nature of the job but it just takes one good moment, that moment when a pupil succeeds, that positive comment or smile from a difficult pupil to put all of the bad moments out of your mind.

On Wednesday we had an assembly to tell year 11 that one of their friends had been found dead that morning. There were many tears. Later that day I had a difficult class and things did no go as planned. I didnt feel like doing any preparation than evening but needs must. Wednesday was not a good day. On Thursday exam results arrived at school and we were able to tell my class that hey had all achieved the 'pass' grades that they needed. More tears but this time of joy. Lots of happy smiling faces, a few "I told you I could do it, sir" and even a couple of quiet thank-you's. It does really make it all worth while.

Thank goodness not all weeks have emotional extremes like that, but I think what I'm really trying to say is that if you think you can take the bad times, and there will be plenty, the good times will more than make up for them.

• RMweb Gold

hang on, you got a D at A level? and you want to teavh kids maths??? :O

I got an O (special grade between E and Fail) in A level maths. I did teach maths, I suspect it wouldn't be allowed now! The degree in chemical physics probably reassured the head of maths I could cope.

• RMweb Gold

It wouldnt assure me....i like people that can do stuff

I have seen some highly qualified graduates who couldn't teach for toffee whilst many with the minimum qualification make superb teachers and can bring the best out of their pupils.

And you would want your kids taught anything by someone that got a D at A level...oh you are from Lancashire where normal levels dont apply?

Council workers eh...dumb as the look :D

Got two As in English literature and language, and one in design and technology too. Should also point out I'm dsycalculeic, so maths doesn't exactly come easily to me.

How do you expect anyone to do anything in life Mickey? I did get a very high 2:1 in English at Loughborough too. So does that not count for anything?

I'm a bit perturbed by your views to be honest Mickey. They don't seem to have a basis in reality. Nobody's perfect.

Archived