Having spent time scanning both ancient memory and many photos I am unable to determine the actual configuration of say 1952.  One source recommended the CW Judge & CR Potts Historical survey.   Having received a copy today I find that the 1921 plan is nothing like my memory or indeed such photos as are available.  The greatest variation being the position of the 60' turntable.  My memory places it in front of the Midland shed and abeam of the rear 100' of the S&D shed south side.  The 1921  plan puts it  at the foot of the S&D coaling ramp  such that the coal wagons would have to cross it to climb the incline. It also places a second coaling tip  south of the S&D shed  not far from where  I think the turntable should be.

One of the photos shows a loco stood adjacent to the saw mills and in the foreground is a circular masonary area  rather like a roundabout minus it's road and is probably about 45' diam. Was the turntable moved after 1923?

Yes, your memory is correct about the turntable location. The plan in Judge & Potts shows the earlier turntable (46' IIRC) which was replaced by the 60' one in 1934.  The larger turntable was needed to turn 7Fs. The diagram a couple of pages earlier gives a better impression of the layout, but only shows the Midland shed. The concrete base in the photo with 2P 40697 is, I believe, one of the bases of a couple of oil tanks erected sometime post-WW2 as part of the short-lived period of oil firing.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Doggeface, the 45'  turntable at Bath was replaced with the 60' one in 1938. The S&D coal stage was indeed accessed by pushing wagons over the turntable. The Midland coalstage was demolished to make way for the new bigger turntable.

The new, larger turntable, along with the bridge strengthening work on the Bath Mangotsfield branch in 1938 allowed larger locos, in particular Black fives, to access Bath and the S&D.

Jerry

Morning all,   Thanks so very much for that instant data!      Thank goodness  that the book cost me a mere £20 or so.   At least the situation of the buildings will enable a reasonable plan of the system to be generated.

Best Regards

Peter

Montarlot

France

• 3 weeks later...

Archived