"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

YAY!!!!! 40 THOUSAND HITS!!!!!

But who was the mysterious poster ?!!!!!

As usual guys, we've got you to thank for keeping the Thread alive in it's darkest hour - ie, when Robinson disappeared for a week down a hole, and Downes had run clean out of ideas !

Major thanks.

Allan.

How about a bit of inspiration to celebrate 40K. This is the work of Lance Russwurm, an American professional artist and contributor to "Railroad Line Forums" upon which I have been known to lurk...http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35733&whichpage=1  have a look at the topic thread, there's some sock blasting stuff on there. I love these shots because they remind me of Grand Theft Auto, which P and I play rather too much, along with Final Fantasy!

post-18033-0-30646600-1377886735.jpg

post-18033-0-59840600-1377886767.jpg

post-18033-0-39844500-1377886778.jpg

cheers,

Iain

• Like 3

The windmill Tony, of course, a befitting 40k milestone marker if ever there was !

YAY!!!!!

But alas, no can do.I'm on the missus's computer as mine has fouled up so I can't access my files and ultimately, the Windmill - but it looks something like this - X

Allan.

Way back when, I posted the following:

heakerr, on 04 Aug 2013 - 16:51, said:snapback.png

After reading and following this thread for a while I think this might be a good place to ask about the inside walls of a station train shed.   Specifically, can anyone confirm my memory that thinks the bricks on the inside of many station train sheds, i.e. under the overall platform canopy/roof, was painted white (whitewashed) to make it appear lighter.  I am specifically interested in Grimsby town station, circa 1955.

Last night I came across the following site www.stationcolours.info and I contacted the owner Peter Smith.  He confirmed, that despite my advanced years, my memory is not that bad and that the inside of station sheds were  sometimes whitewashed (and painted cream) to make them brighter.   Thus, the inside of Grimsby town will be whitewashed although of course by 1955 it would be getting pretty dirty as there wasn't a lot of funding for "cosmetics"

Way back when, I posted the following:

heakerr, on 04 Aug 2013 - 16:51, said:snapback.png

Last night I came across the following site www.stationcolours.info and I contacted the owner Peter Smith.  He confirmed, that despite my advanced years, my memory is not that bad and that the inside of station sheds were  sometimes whitewashed (and painted cream) to make them brighter.   Thus, the inside of Grimsby town will be whitewashed although of course by 1955 it would be getting pretty dirty as there wasn't a lot of funding for "cosmetics"

Thanks very much for the update and the info...very useful. Look forward to seeing the photos!

Talking of photos, I found this old photo of Allan standing next to my proudest modelmaking creation...

cheers,

Iain

post-18033-0-08362400-1377889758.jpg

Thanks very much for the update and the info...very useful. Look forward to seeing the photos!

Talking of photos, I found this old photo of Allan standing next to my proudest modelmaking creation...

cheers,

Iain

attachicon.gifWindmill 2.jpg

Sensational Iain, and are you telling me that you only got 8 pound a page for something as magnificent as that ? - just as well it wasn't Tetford,  you'd have been paying them !

Cheers.

Allan.

20 quid a page AND as much track and points as I needed !!! - you were dealin' with the wrong man Mate, Sydney was the one you should have cornered ! when I had to stay there to do some on site work, he even paid for my tooth paste - AND my booze bill at the Hotel ! - "Drink as much as you like Mr Downes, just be upright by morning"!

Cheers.

Allan

20 quid a page AND as much track and points as I needed !!! - you were dealin' with the wrong man Mate, Sydney was the one you should have cornered ! when I had to stay there to do some on site work, he even paid for my tooth paste - AND my booze bill at the Hotel ! - "Drink as much as you like Mr Downes, just be upright by morning"!

Cheers.

Allan

I don't think he liked the cut of my jib. Sydney insisted on my calling him "sir" , which I never did, so that portly gent you didn't like very much got the editor's  job. I'd have done the same, though....ie told you that the RM was no longer the Windy Miller house journal and you could take your Colron compendiums elsewhere! :triniti:

I'll get my coat...

cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain.

Sydney kept a bottle of highly potent something or other in his office for special occasions which were namely to lace me up with enough of the stuff so that I would drunkedly nod my head in his general direction in aggreement with everything he said.

After having shaved a healthy 60% off my fee, he would then plant me in one of his miniature railway carriages with the instructions to the driver to let me out when my legs were no longer trying to act independantly of each other  - "His car's the heap in the corner of the carpark, here's his coat, you might have to push it to start"

Halycon days indeed.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

UNOFFICIAL RMweb POLL

I've had a word with one of the gaffers - Iain - regarding a fun-poll. Its based on something I've noticed time and time again during my forum travels.

Q: How many railway-modellers play guitar and have cat(s)?

I have two cats and waaay too many guitars and basses... 

• Like 1

I'm afraid nobody's going to be impressed by my present guitar, a humble Yamaha F310; however, I did, when I lived in Livingston, manage to earn a bit of drinks money with a similar box. My folkie friend Jim Knight used to play local pubs and clubs and I did the odd spot so that he could extend his beer break. My standard of musicianship was nowhere near Jim's, but, with half a dozen chords and much use of the capo I could get some of the crowd on my side with a Buddy Holly set (with a lot of punters, repertoire trumps expertise). And we usually finished the evening with me on bongos, backing Jim's guitar or mandolin in a loud and loosely harmonised version of the Incredible String Band's "This Moment" or the Stones' "Play With Fire". Ah, happy days, what I can remember of them!

• Like 4

Guitar History.

Along with 8.5 billion other kids wanned to play like Burt.

Bought standard crap guitar of the times - Woolworths Special, thirty bob and bent neck included - leart the intro to Guitar Boogie Shuffle, flogged it to buy a new suit to impress new girlfriend.

However with new girlfriend still uninpressed a week later, bought another WS bent neck included and learnt the intro to Ghost Riders In The Sky then flogged it until Move It hit the charts so back to Woolies again, learnt the intro, flogged it and repeated this right up until Apache hit the charts at No one and then it got serious - flogged the car, bought a Strat from Soho Soundhouse, got hold of Hanks old Vox AC 30 and a Watkins Copycat echo unit, learnt three chords ( the three chord trick ) , played the village hall with three numbers - Apache, Wonderfull Land and F.B.I. and ain't looked back since !

Ennit.

Allan.

• Like 1

Guitar History.

Along with 8.5 billion other kids wanned to play like Burt.

Bought standard crap guitar of the times - Woolworths Special, thirty bob and bent neck included - leart the intro to Guitar Boogie Shuffle, flogged it to buy a new suit to impress new girlfriend.

However with new girlfriend still uninpressed a week later, bought another WS bent neck included and learnt the intro to Ghost Riders In The Sky then flogged it until Move It hit the charts so back to Woolies again, learnt the intro, flogged it and repeated this right up until Apache hit the charts at No one and then it got serious - flogged the car, bought a Strat from Soho Soundhouse, got hold of Hanks old Vox AC 30 and a Watkins Copycat echo unit, learnt three chords ( the three chord trick ) , played the village hall with three numbers - Apache, Wonderfull Land and F.B.I. and ain't looked back since !

Ennit.

Allan.

- Happy days indeed! I can remember when church-halls everywhere hummed to bands practicing Apache. And the Watkins Copycat. If I remember correctly it consisted of a single loop of tape that built then deleted the echo for each note. Remind me, did a pedal maintain the echo's length? I never had one, just lusted after them in shop windows. Soooooooooo low-tech!

Tony.

Three guitars (Two Strat's and a Les Paul) but no cat. However, my dogs really good mates with the Siamese from next door. They sit in the sun together at the end of the drive watching the world go by! :friends:

Bill

There could be the basis of a technical qualification here, cos cats can have more than one home, adopting another servant. The questions are: (a) do you ever feed it? And (b)has it ever slept in your house?

Tony.

(Thread owners may have to adjudicate here... )

- Happy days indeed! I can remember when church-halls everywhere hummed to bands practicing Apache. And the Watkins Copycat. If I remember correctly it consisted of a single loop of tape that built then deleted the echo for each note. Remind me, did a pedal maintain the echo's length? I never had one, just lusted after them in shop windows. Soooooooooo low-tech!

Tony.

WATKINS COPYCAT.

A rather basis and unpredictable echo unit where a tape loop was fed around several guide posts and between the rollers and the heads which after a period stretched and 'warped' the echo - it's all we had that stood between stardom and failure!

There was no pedal to maintain the length of echo, just some kind of adjustmant dials I think that did absolutely FA !

It was Joe Brown who first introducwd it to Hank Marvin at rehearsals and from that day on, the Shadows sound was born.

Later, the Shads used a Roland `500 echo unit and on the strength of that I bought one (600quid) and it didn't make the slightest bit of difference whatsoever - what I didn't have and what the Shads did, was 10 grands worth of mixing desk the size of Wales and an engineer to operate it. - they played through miced up Vox AC 30's set on the lowest setting for an ultra clean sound and the guy on the mixing desk did the rest - I thought about doing the same but I didn;t have 10 grand to spare nor a bedroom big enough ( so I built a windmill instead)

Allan.

• Like 2

I was fortunate enough to have the final ticket to the Shads' penultimate UK gig (Wembley Arena on the "Cliff Richard 50 years in showbiz" tour) a couple of years ago.

I also used to have a geography teacher we all knew as "Bert" Weedon although I think his real name was Derek....

• Like 2

I'm a great believer in parallel universes, and I'm sure that in some of them Allan got the breaks instead of Hank, fans write on walls: "Downsie is God" and gloat over the last ticket for Al's umpteenth "Final Tour", and windmills feature regularly on the cover of "Model Railroader"...