Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

I know that feeling. I can't draw or paint to save my life, but I can make a decent effort at a reasonable 3D model of a building or tree - but I like to be free to make small alterations, like an artist painting a person or scene, making tiny changes to reality to emphasise characteristics or features, so as to convey a theme or atmosphere. Or, more prosaically, to work round any variation in the raw materials! As you say, artistic interpretation. Would anyone following this thread dare suggest you (and the esteemed Mr Robinson) lack it? 

"The esteemed Mr Robinson"...thank you! ...I like that! (£50 Costa's coffee token on it's way, White Rabbit) :jester:

I have to spend most of my time making fairly soul-less replicas of gas modules and shopping centres, so when I get a chance to let my imagination fly, I take it. I do occasionally get railway modelling oriented jobs where the customer wants an exact replica and I will do that if the money is right, but I much prefer when the customer lets me do something from scratch and lets me give it the full treatment with weathering and detail etc. Luckily, I have a couple of very lovely customers just now who let me do what I do best (no, not mining...)  I also get pretty burnt out after the jobs for rather unpleasant business folk with their suits and deadlines, even if it does pay very well... but railway modelling is so much more civilised.

Allan has created another masterpiece of texture and form, he really is the Constable of structure building and I am now sure he has done some sort of deal with the devil...how do you work so quickly mate? Colron, I guess, taken intravenously.  Anyway, this Tintagel model is wonderful.I had thought I'd seen it all from the master. Apparently not.

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

"The esteemed Mr Robinson"...thank you! ...I like that! (£50 Costa's coffee token on it's way, White Rabbit) :jester:

…I thought he was talking about me ;)

Don't look at my thread, Iain. Unless you want nightmares.

I think I was having a "moment"...

Iain C Robinson, on 11 Feb 2014 - 10:05, said:

Allan has created another masterpiece of texture and form, he really is the Constable of structure building and I am now sure he has done some sort of deal with the devil...how do you work so quickly mate? Colron, I guess, taken intravenously.  Anyway, this Tintagel model is wonderful.I had thought I'd seen it all from the master. Apparently not.

cheers,

Iain

My speed ? developed after years of trying to keep one step  and 20 quid a page ahead of you mate !

And the secret ? dont faff, just do it !

And what the client wants ? stuff what the client wants !

And the fee ? I prefer to use daylight robbery !

And the rewards ? Hienze soup instead of Tesco's two cans for the price of one mixed swill.

Cheers mate, great to have you back, Tintagel all done and dusted, next epic half built, ball in your court.

Allan

Oh, Iain, talking of horror...

you know my avatar pic?

That model doesn't exist in that state any more.

All the signage (which was damp damaged anyway) has gone and the stonework being used as a test bed for new colouring ideas… It's kind of a model in limbo now

Oh, Iain, talking of horror...

you know my avatar pic?

That model doesn't exist in that state any more.

All the signage (which was damp damaged anyway) has gone and the stonework being used as a test bed for new colouring ideas… It's kind of a model in limbo now

We really must speak to the mandarins at RMWeb and get them to put a horror rating for us to use on posts...this is getting like all those poor mutilated toys on Toy Story....are you sure you haven't turned into a modern day Peter Cushing ,  building a Frankenstein-style steampunk Yorkshire in miniature?  Ah well, I know the end result will be brilliant...worth all the trauma....repaint, all ye who enter here! :O

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

Speaking of horrors, I've nearly finished my Post Office with just the roof to paint so if anyone wants to see it? (At my current speed, probably next week!). Definitely somewhat north of Tintagel but what the heck! We ain't all Mr. Downes!

White Rabbit: Have a good look at that £50 Costa Coffee voucher. The Welsh tenner Iain sent me had a picture of Harry Seacombe on the back!

Regards

Bill

Bill,

Did you realise that you are post #3000 in this Highly Esteemed Goon Show Informative and Hilarious topic?

To all concerned, especially Allan and Iain, well done and thanks for the inspiration and laughs!

I didn't and I'm honoured! Many thanks to Iain and Allan for the opportunity and all the inspiration and long may it continue. Can't wait to see post #6000! :friends:

Ah, that is, of course, brilliant. Fantastic textures.

However, upon my return from the silver city I can see I will have to up my game if I have any hope of beating this. :bb:

cheers,

Iain

No chance Mate, you've bin tryin' for 40 years and ain't even come close !]]

Cheers.

Allan

It's a terrible thing you know Allan! While I've been building my little post office you've managed to create a layout and a large proportion of the south-west of England. All to the sort of high standard most of us can only dream about. If you ever manage to bottle your secret recipe for success I promise to be first in the queue!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

It's a terrible thing you know Allan! While I've been building my little post office you've managed to create a layout and a large proportion of the south-west of England. All to the sort of high standard most of us can only dream about. If you ever manage to bottle your secret recipe for success I promise to be first in the queue!

Regards

Bill

Secret recipe for success Bill?  Just keep one  eye on the job and the other on Robinson! - I caught him once rigging up a spy-cam in my workshop !

I've since rigged it up in his.

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

This morning the sun came streaming in through the front window, swamping the mill scene in sunlight - so with the full intention of boring you all rigid, I took some pics.

What's "the sun"?

The pictures look great. If you'd shot those against trees or foliage, I would defy anyone to tell them from the full sized article. 

This morning the sun came streaming in through the front window, swamping the mill scene in sunlight - so with the full intention of boring you all rigid, I took some pics.

Cheers.

Allan

What's "the sun"?

The pictures look great. If you'd shot those against trees or foliage, I would defy anyone to tell them from the full sized article. 

Agree with the White Rabbit.

I wouldn't think that anyone's going to be bored by the chance to see your work shown at its best, Allan, and you can't beat natural lighting for that. The dappled effect of the first shot is particularly pleasing, suggesting the welcome reappearance of the sun after the storm.

More, please!

Edit: typo.

Edited by bluebottle

I agree with white rabbit- what's the sun!!!

Fantastic modelling as usual.

The sun is something which for the last six months has shone in through my office window at an awkward angle (getting in my right eye, but also bouncing off my monitor screen to dazzle me in my left) meaning I have to draw the blinds.  It then disappears promptly at about 18:00 on a Friday when I leave work, reappearing at about 08:00 on Monday when I am back in.

The only exception to this rule is if instead of going out to coach or watch rugby, have a walk, do something in the garden or participate any outdoor activity I am forced back into work over the weekend it then comes out again...

Edited by C&WR