Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

This is the main roof tiled out - three hours including cutting out the tiles - and this is what a roof looks like after the PVA sealing coat has been applied over the textured stippled pollyfilla treatment.

At this stage it looks an absolute disaster and a right mess  - which it is - but the end product is well worth it , and came as quite a shock when I first ever tried it!

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-69432900-1392925503_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-82233200-1392925518_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-40049000-1392925536_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-87394000-1392925562_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-64134800-1392925581_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

After checking the roof pitch with the prototype I realised that while I had the right pitch, more or less, it wasn't high enough to the ridge  by almost a third again !!!!!!

Drat, drat and drat again - so do I make the roof again? like hell I do, so it'll have to be Arlington Row, an alternative !

But this is just between  us while Robinson's up in Aberdeen ripping off the oil industry !

Cheers.

Allan.

After checking the roof pitch with the prototype I realised that while I had the right pitch, more or less, it wasn't high enough to the ridge  by almost a third again !!!!!!

Drat, drat and drat again - so do I make the roof again? like hell I do, so it'll have to be Arlington Row, an alternative !

But this is just between  us while Robinson's up in Aberdeen ripping off the oil industry !

Cheers.

Allan.

Hee hee...glad to see I'm not the only one to have to completely rethink a project because I've made a mistake! Petra says she's going to start using that Polyfilla stipple technique for the roofs now  :jester: it does look amazing.

cheers,

Iain

Hello Iain, Hope Aberdeen is treating you well.

Pete, Allan, you're both 18 steps ahead of me

I'm still drawing mine out!

post-15693-0-86523300-1392979742_thumb.jpg

Just a few more verticals to add in

The reason for drawing ALL the stones?

Well, I'm trying a new technique - I'm going to feed a sheet of 2mm foamex into the plotter and get it to cut in all my window and door holes and mark on all the stone courses, so all I have to do is go over with the scribe and trim the apertures out properly

If it works, It should save literally hours of marking out and scribing, plus all my verticals should be true!

post-15693-0-86523300-1392979742_thumb.jpg

Edited by freebs
  • Like 2

Hee hee...glad to see I'm not the only one to have to completely rethink a project because I've made a mistake! Petra says she's going to start using that Polyfilla stipple technique for the roofs now  :jester: it does look amazing.

cheers,

Iain

If it's Petra that uses the roof technique, then it's free, if it's you whoe's been raking it in up in the North sea while I labour to keep the Thread going, then it'll have to be another swift 50 !

Anyway, any probs with the method, let me know on  here, or give me a call and I'll talk Petra through it - it's messy, so be warned !

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 2

Hello Iain, Hope Aberdeen is treating you well.

Pete, Allan, you're both 18 steps ahead of me

I'm still drawing mine out!

attachicon.gifTerraced-House2linesno-windows.jpg

Just a few more verticals to add in

The reason for drawing ALL the stones?

Well, I'm trying a new technique - I'm going to feed a sheet of 2mm foamex into the plotter and get it to cut in all my window and door holes and mark on all the stone courses, so all I have to do is go over with the scribe and trim the apertures out properly

If it works, It should save literally hours of marking out and scribing, plus all my verticals should be true!

Cheers, Lee... just got back late last night and am sitting at the workbench looking at the plans for my latest project, which I will share on here.  Your drawings look great and it sounds like a very good idea to use the plotter. I find that my stone vertical courses develop a "lean" to the right after a while!  

Allan, I really think I should be due a discount, fifty quid again? After all, we are both members of the veteran card scribers and Colron sniffers association, no?

I noted in my absence that things had gone awry with the thread, arguments about door bracing, photos of interesting tea and beer trays etc... :jester: good job I am back to keep the peace!

cheers,

Iain

The back of our house faces roughly south west and the driving rain makes land fall for the first time since Canada apparently. When they built the second extension on our house in in around 2000 (before we moved here) they appear to have clipped each slate at the rear on individually to make sure they don't blow away in a place that is more or less always windy to a greater or lesser extent. I've not seen this in a modern house before or since.There are no trees to lessen the strength either and we are approximately 500ft above sea level in an exposed position.

INFORMATION GIVEN.

Faces roughly south west.

Location (according to RM web). Dorset.

Driving rain makes 1st landfall since Canada.

mmmmmmmmmm

Methinks Dorset suffered badly in the recent weather and has been blown violently westwards and now lies somewhere off of Lands End. Either that or Canada has moved somewhere west of Isle of Wight or has my geography erred?

• Like 1

Yes, that's one thing I wince about when looking at the ones done so far - a definite lean on the verticals!

I use a template stuck to the filler. The Verticals still go out a touch but they are ok.

Edited by Peterkern23

Hi all,
would you believe that I once used Colron wood dye Jacobean Oak on a model for a purpose you wouldn't expect, I will put the photos on after

Can you guess what I used it for, 'no prizes for guessing I'm afraid', I'm just a poor model maker :-(

Peter

Thank you for that Jaz, though I'n not so sure that Robinsons clay jobs beat my cardboard one's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, just for you (and hopefully to make Robinson buck his ideas up ) some more sunshine shots, taken fresh today.

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifMORE SUNSHINE SHOTS 011.JPGattachicon.gifMORE SUNSHINE SHOTS 012.JPGattachicon.gifMORE SUNSHINE SHOTS 013.JPGattachicon.gifMORE SUNSHINE SHOTS 015.JPGattachicon.gifMORE SUNSHINE SHOTS 016.JPGattachicon.gifMORE SUNSHINE SHOTS 017.JPGattachicon.gifMORE SUNSHINE SHOTS 018.JPGattachicon.gifMORE SUNSHINE SHOTS 021.JPG

I know how much you hate figures.....

but do you think you could manage a spot for some birds?

med_gallery_17883_2878_384624.jpg

swans, geese, moorhens...I removed the mallards their heads are not at all in proportion.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

I noted in my absence that things had gone awry with the thread, arguments about door bracing, photos of interesting tea and beer trays etc... :jester: good job I am back to keep the peace!

cheers,

Iain

Hello Iain. Glad to see the Wee Free Men haven't got you!

Who! Us argue? Nah! Just a lively exchange of opinions on stuff n' things of a carpentry nature! :blackeye: As for interesting tea did you know that in 1736................................... Harrumph! Anyway good to see you back in the fold. Allan's been working his fingers to the bone keeping us lot amused (and calm!) so have at it Sirrah! :yahoo:

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

Hi all,

would you believe that I once used Colron wood dye Jacobean Oak on a model for a purpose you wouldn't expect, I will put the photos on after

Can you guess what I used it for, 'no prizes for guessing I'm afraid', I'm just a poor model maker :-(

Peter

Smoke vents ?

Iain C Robinson, on 21 Feb 2014 - 11:50, said:

Allan, I really think I should be due a discount, fifty quid again? After all, we are both members of the veteran card scribers and Colron sniffers association, no?

cheers,

Iain

DISCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the nerve of the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, OK, from now on a swift 60.

Re the door bracing, nobody was really arguing, they just wouldn't agree with me - my Thread, my rules - If I say the doors were hung upside down, the doors were hung upside down, If I say Robinson wears a rug, Robinson wears a rug, end of. :nono:

Cheers.

Allan

Having now posted a few comments I thought I'd better show you something I had made.

attachicon.gifrear elevation.jpgattachicon.gifFront elevation.jpg

Before you get the wrong idea, I model in N gauge and this is about 150 times as big. We built the extension on the left looking from the front.  I have a mind to make a 2mm version when I get that far, but work still gets in the way so progress is glacial.

Dave

• Like 2