RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

You hadn't? How could you miss that from the man who created THAT windmill............!

Now that is a sweet set up Allan! I'm more traditional rock myself. 'American Special' Strat fitted with 'Texas Special' pickups, double-wound (I think!) which beefs the sound up no end over the standard unit and gives it a real 'kick' when you need it, locking tremolo and Jumbo frets (to suit me short, fat fingers!) Marshall MGFX amp (comes with it's own programmable foot pedal) and a Boss PW-10 programmable Wah Pedal. Put that lot together and I can sometimes out-Hendrix Hendrix. Especially when I get my fingers stuck in the strings!!!!

Oh Well

Bill

Wicked rig there Bill, have you got the hair to go with it !!

Cheers.

Allan.

Wicked rig there Bill, have you got the hair to go with it !!

Cheers.

Allan.

Er! Was Hendrix bald?

Yeh! I'd forgotten that bit Kev. I'll go and get them out of the jar and see what I can do! :nono:

Edited by Mythocentric

Hi Alan,

Nice to see your gear, Some stuff that I know from Charlie Hall inventor of the EFTP and Amanda Hambidge etc.

In the early years a sin the Shadows first album, Hank used a Customshop model USA Fender Stratocaster with gold hardware and double birdseye neck.

The amps back then were VoxAC15 and I think the speakers were then Goodmans Audium in the AC15s Hanks sound was down to the unique Meazzi Echomatic of which he used firstly the echomatic 1 then the echomatic 2, later he used the likes of the Roland, especially in the 70s and 80s.

then on to the Alesis Q2 eftp then the flagship model Alesis q20, he now uses an Australian machine called a TVS3 which is just incredible.

Having said all this, Charlie Hall ( EFTP ) fame is putting together the final touches to a new machine that will really do the business, I had the pleasure of playing through the prototype alongside the old Meazzi Echomatic and very difficult indeed to tell the difference, the wo and flutter is there in the effect just like the Meazzi Echomatic. 

I saw Bruce welch use a fender twin reverb once, playing Ghost riders :-) I kid you not. 

Probably the closest sound you will get to Hank Marvins sound is 'Justin Daish' who plays shadows music with Alan Jones ( Bass player with the Shadows) for the longest period of time, they are called the Shadowers, his sound is stunning

Just realised that the link lets you into my photobucket of which there are about 20 shadows numbers in amongst the model photos lol

cheers

Peter

Back to the amps, they changed there amps as the ac15s were not loud enough above the screaming so in  came the AC30-4

of which Phil Kelly ( Bruce Welch's shadows ) lead guitarist used.

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 1

Hadn't realised that you're of the sinister persuasion, Allan!

This was the late and long suffering missus before I took up modelling " You can build as many train sets as you like as long as it doesn't look like you are  but you'd better learn to play that guitar better first and I'm gona show you how" !

So, as a trained classical pianist, she set about filling my head with  quavers, sem-quavers, sem demi-quavers and as many flats, sharps and scales she could think of as I tried to get my first Triang loco to make a full lap around the fireplace carpet without siezing up solid!

Well. I learnt the guitar but I'm still getting no where with that loco....

Cheers.

Alan.

Hi Peter, might have known a brilliant guitarist such as your self would help us out here !

I believe the first echo unit Hank Marvin used was a WEM WATKINS COPY CAT as introduced to him by Joe Brown back in the 50's. These as you know were tape driven which after a while stretched and when you played out you had to take a packet of spare tapes with you !

I knew Hank as the tall skiny Buddy Holly look-a-like that served the orange juice in the 2 I'S coffee bar in Old Compton Street, Soho, and is mate Bruce was there with him -and that's where he got asked to back Cliff and he said he would but only if his mate Bruce could come too and the rest is history - oh, and Cliff used to sulk if he couldn't get up and sing when he wanted to !

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 2

Right guys, couldn't wait for tommorow and the outdoor shots - but I will anyway - so here's a few dodgy indoor shots.

The greenery has yet to be highlighted - dry brushed yellow, does it every time!

So here's the pics....

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-52183300-1394230518_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-17439100-1394230529_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-96187300-1394230540_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-00869200-1394230556_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-62307700-1394230569_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi bill,

that's interesting stuff, re Syd Barratt, Peter Green etc, I'm very much a big fan of Floyd and Fleetwood Mac, I have a pretty bad recording of one of Peter Greens original numbers 'Hideaway', its rough as a bears bottom, I think I had a migraine that day and had to get the recording done so we could give the recording equipment back which was overdue.

Anyway its a bit different from the Shadows that people usually relate to me. Alan might be interested :-)

here is the link

http://s823.photobucket.com/user/shawbridge_photos/media/PeteRocksOut_zps4c8e1e93.mp4.html

Blimey Peter, that was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G ! and I nearly missed it that's why I'm late in responding - brilliant guitarist, equally as brilliant modelmaker.

Terrific stuff mate, terrific bloke.

Cheers.

Allan.

From the sublime to the ridiculous - years back, Mrs bb and I were watching a chat show on TV which featured Alvin Stardust singing and accompanying himself on acoustic guitar. When he'd finished, she commented: "Well, he's no better than you ..." So, there you have it. When it comes to abusing a Yamaha F310, I'm up there with Alvin Stardust!

Edit: typo.

Edited by bluebottle

From the sublime to the ridiculous - years back, Mrs bb and I were watching a chat show on TV which featured Alvin Stardust singing and accompanying himself on acoustic guitar. When he'd finished, she commented: "Well, he's no better than you ..." So, there you have it. When it comes to abusing a Yamaha F310, I'm up there with Alvin Stardust!

Edit: typo.

Yeh BB, but I bet you couldn't abuse a bottle of black hair dye like he can !

Cheers.

Allan.

I agree with on both counts there Iain. It's amazing the sound you can get from a pro midi setup.

As for guitars I prefer something a little more pointy:

attachicon.gifDSCF2333small.jpg

And I can still knock out Apache on it 'cos it sounds great clean too.

That's a beautiful guitar Kev. What is it? I like the fact that it is understated and has clean lines. My son plays an Ernie Ball, which is similar in appearance.

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

No sunshine today - well there was the very minute I took the model back inside !

Anyway, here are some 'noody' shots as Ian C calls them !

Cheers.

Allan

These noody shots are fantastic...absolute perfection. I am sure you could find buyers for these models if you didn't want them hanging around on shelves...Beautiful work, mate.

Your skill and craftsmanship just carries on like an unstoppable train and puts my slow rate of work to shame.

Well, what's your next project? I know, what about building Rome?...but I warn you, it can't be built in a day!  Errr that was actually a joke.... :)

cheers,

Iain

Hi bill,

that's interesting stuff, re Syd Barratt, Peter Green etc, I'm very much a big fan of Floyd and Fleetwood Mac, I have a pretty bad recording of one of Peter Greens original numbers 'Hideaway', its rough as a bears bottom, I think I had a migraine that day and had to get the recording done so we could give the recording equipment back which was overdue.

Anyway its a bit different from the Shadows that people usually relate to me. Alan might be interested :-)

here is the link

http://s823.photobucket.com/user/shawbridge_photos/media/PeteRocksOut_zps4c8e1e93.mp4.html

Peter, this is pretty damn impressive. Very fluid playing and nice tone...brilliant, thanks for the link. If that's rough...I wonder what your top stuff must be like!

Sorry to hear that you suffer from migraines too! I often wonder if it is the solvent in my case.

thanks again for showing us your amazing axe skills!

cheers,

Iain

Iain my daughter who is now 32 suffered migraines from childhood.At one stage the doctors thought she had MS because of the symptoms,but a lumber puncture test ruled that out.She has only found out this last couple of weeks it is caused by food intollerence.She no longer takes dairy produce,grapes or anything contaiing yeast.Within a day or so she was feeling fantastic,she cant remember feeling so well.

The test is carried out by the University in York,an initial blood test costs £10 to see if there is antibodys,but the full test is about £300 but you have access to dieticians to help you.The NHS don't do it because of cost,their tests are long drawn out affairs that can take months or years.My daughter had her results in one day.

Hope this helps anyone.

Asa

• Like 1

Iain my daughter who is now 32 suffered migraines from childhood.At one stage the doctors thought she had MS because of the symptoms,but a lumber puncture test ruled that out.She has only found out this last couple of weeks it is caused by food intollerence.She no longer takes dairy produce,grapes or anything contaiing yeast.Within a day or so she was feeling fantastic,she cant remember feeling so well.

The test is carried out by the University in York,an initial blood test costs £10 to see if there is antibodys,but the full test is about £300 but you have access to dieticians to help you.The NHS don't do it because of cost,their tests are long drawn out affairs that can take months or years.My daughter had her results in one day.

Hope this helps anyone.

Asa

Thanks, asa... I'm glad your daughter has found the cause. Poor thing, having to have a lumbar puncture...ouch.  I did wonder myself if it was a food intolerance...fine as long as it's not an intolerance to red wine in my case... or my life would suddenly get a little bit more dull  :jester:

cheers,

Iain

That's a beautiful guitar Kev. What is it? I like the fact that it is understated and has clean lines. My son plays an Ernie Ball, which is similar in appearance.

cheers,

Iain

Thanks Iain. It's a Maverick F1.

Maverick were a tiny British company established in the mid 90's producing guitars designed my the almighty Trevor Wilkinson. Production was in Korea, with extensive quality control in this country. The company ceased trading about 10 years ago because the chap who started it was running himself into the ground working 18 hours days to meet demand. Why on earth he didn't employ more staff I'll never know. It was a shame they closed, top quality guitars easily on par with the likes of Ibanez.

I also have a cherry sunburst Maverick F3, which had three pickups. I call it my ginger guitar. And I also own a Maverick X1 which was Wilkinson's alternative version of the Mockingbird he did for BR Rich in the 80's.

Hope this helps anyone.

Asa

I had severe bloating and pains for months, did the York blood test and found that yeast was the main problem along with diary and wheat. Since cutting all that lot out feel totally different and lost a stone, which as badly needed. The NHS seem unable to to cope with anything apart from a blood test for gluten.

Ollie.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, asa... I'm glad your daughter has found the cause. Poor thing, having to have a lumbar puncture...ouch.  I did wonder myself if it was a food intolerance...fine as long as it's not an intolerance to red wine in my case... or my life would suddenly get a little bit more dull  :jester:

cheers,

Iain

"A day without wine is like a day without sunshine." Then again, in Snowdonia you probably need some internal sunshine on account of a lack of the sort taken externally... 

Just fired up the comp - YAY!!!!!! 100,000 K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Robinson's just phoned me up to tell the lads that the drinks are on him YAY AGAIN !!!!

So thanks guys, it was all down to you and had it been left to just Iain and me we'd still be struggling to get it airborne !!

Our Thread, your success.

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 6