RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

You know in that film, 'Honey, I shrunk the Kids', Rick Moranis has a miniaturising ray............................... Hmmmm, I can't see how else he does it, unless it's magic, which it is of course!

Hi Alan,

OOOOOOH,

Signal boxes, now you do know I like those and looking forward to your creation, will it make my Signal Box thread?

Lovely stuff Scale-link etched parts.

Is the box a prototype or freelance affair?

cheers

Peter

ps: I wonder hat a Tudor signal box would look like?

Hi Peter.

Sure, I would feel honoured for to have my signal box on your thread but it'll be nothing as well built as yours mate !

The box is freelance but based on prototype practice - all windows and steps !

When you consider the timber framework a signal box is halfway to being Tudor anyway !

Cheers

Allan.

I stand corrected..... God six days....Allan six hours. How does he do it? He could make a video but it would have to be slowed down to a speed that us mortals could follow. :) Mind you he is still in the first flush of youth and will probably slow down a bit after his telegram from the queen arrives. I picture Taz the Tasmanian devil, a whirling cloud of colron and fire clay out of which keep popping the most amazing buildings.

Regards,

Terry

• Like 4

Speed and fluency at anything is all about familiarity where you're so used to to it that it's 1% think and 99% application - a bricklayer would pick up a brick and lay it while you'd pick up a brick and stand there wondering how. No high count IQ there, just familiarity.

Take this message for example and how I'm typing it - with one finger and both eyes on the keyboard and not the screen, result?  when I do look up, 30 minutes of typing  some in lower case, most in upper case !!!

Now you guys, and most if not all, could type out the entire works of Shakespeare whilst I'm still struggling with "Friends, Romans and countrymen" which invarioubly would at first attempt come out like this - "fREn Ds RomANS An d CounTERIMANS ".

So you see, while you may be struggling to work out the dimensions of a building I would probably have it half built. It's like I've always said - it's more to do with familiarity than it has to do with skill.

This post was started at 7 oclock and finished at 9. Official.

CheRS Al LaN

• Like 3

The station mounted on its short - very - platform showing  progress so far. The small building on the end is just posed there to make the shot more interesting, where a proper goods building will stand, WHEN Wells Fargo arrive with the damned materials!!

For this scene to incorporate all I want, ie platform ramp leading down to signal box and lamp hut with some kind of building in the background, I've had to build it in two sections - one at three feet long, the other at 30 inches but even then the platform will be well short of its required six foot minimum had this been a layout and not a diorama.

Anyway, here's a few pics.

Cheers.

Allan.

First, a close up of the platform edging and surface.

post-18579-0-20671300-1395440527_thumb.jpg

And the rest.

post-18579-0-87924000-1395440446_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-51707000-1395440460_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-71060700-1395440490_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-34256100-1395440508_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-65381000-1395440561_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Alan,

I am forever explaining this to folks at exhibitions whilst demonstrating, its so true Allan 'familiarity' territory you are more than familiar with, no thinking just doing but every now and then you come into unknown territory and then its a different matter all together, like with a WINDMILL :-) I once built.

I remember giving you a ring at the time, must be back in the 90s now but none of knew how to go about it.

the windmill in question was based on a prototype in Yorkshire, it was wider at the bottom narrower in the middle then out again, and the question was, how do you apply the brickwork to that without resorting to individual application of bricks?

before tell how, does anyone know how?

cheers

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 1

Hi Alan,

that's it, I used strips of Exactoscale adhesive backed brick sheet, wrapped round and in the narrower centre point just one strip, it worked a treat, here is the Windmill in question

Hi Peter, thought so, so do I get Brownie Points ?!

That's a very nice job you made of that windmill and, who knows, one day it mght be as infamous as mine !!

Just discovered the rip off of the year - Slaters ramped platform fencing in 7mm.

You get two pieces for £3.50, a left handed and a right handed where the given angle determines the length of the ramp and, consequently, how many lengths you'll need which is three iether handed thus costing you £10.50 to fence a ramp and if the station only has a ramp at one end - you're left with £5.25's worth of spare fencing that you'll probably never use ! Once you could have bought a train set for that - WITH station !!!

Cheers.

Allan

Hi Alan,

thanks re your comments, the Windmill shell is made from a Glenfidich whiskey tube container for the main core, Re Slaters  fencing etc, I never knew it existed :-)

Was the station building one you made earlier or a recent build/

cheers

Peter

Hi Mike,

I have found no easier way to do these model types, the only real way would be to lay them individually, which would take up most of a year unless Allan is doing it :-) 

To be honest, 'strips'  is pretty quick to get a result and much easier to say the least and can be disguised/manipulated with painting and weathering, on my model, because I used Exactoscale adhesive backed brickwork, the strip laying joins don't show, in fact you can't tell how and were the differing strip layers are on the model once finished.

An alternative would be to produce a kit of parts via the 3d printing process or something similar.

One thing to bare in mind, I don't think Exactoscale sheets are available anymore, so its finding it on the second hand market surplus etc, theres always someone with it somewhere but beware, don't stick it directly onto plastic but rather if using a plastic shell fix cartridge paper or card to it first then add the brick sheet to that for better adhesion.

cheers

Peter A L

Wells Fargo arrived at last this morning with the SB boarding so the box got boarded out and boxed up - actually, Wells Fargo got lost and a little Chinee man delivered it and then made me an offer for my Benz !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-28056600-1395510184_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-20412200-1395510195_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-85309100-1395510212_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-56765700-1395510226_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-20736800-1395510240_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-49003100-1395510262_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Signal box almost finished, ridging to go, gaps that only the camera can see! like the toilet roof that's not even seated at all so christ knows what's keeping it up there - paint perhaps...

I'm quite happy with it but it's definately not in the same league as a Peter Leyland box by a long margin !

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-62234800-1395530539_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-28123900-1395530557_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-66156500-1395530575_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-68388000-1395530590_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-77690100-1395530607_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Fire clay, colron and now windmills out of jenga blocks. :)

Regards,

Terry

Them there Jenga blocks are really useful for using as squares when assembling buildings as well as other stuff when used with a blob of bluetac to hold them still.

:yes:

"the work is in the ends" he says. Looks to me like a lot of work tiling that roof. Good horizontal lines on the tiles. Bet you couldn't do that after a few pints...although thinking about it Allan probably could. :)

In n gauge I'm pleased if the roof is big enough to reach the walls. :)

Regards,

Terry

Edited by duckweed