"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

WARNING! Never lay and ballast track straight down onto cardboard because here's what can happen.

The diluted PVA just soaks right through and lifts the first layer of cardboard as can be seen in a couple of the pics. Also, go easy on the washing up liquid to break down the surface tension, I went stupid with the Fairy - oi you lot, keep your comments to your self !! - and ended up with a bubble bath  !

I'm going to bed.

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-65840400-1396299707_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-19722500-1396299721_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-44243100-1396299734_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-22297400-1396299746_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-63615600-1396299759_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-15382500-1396299776_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

WARNING! Never lay and ballast track straight down onto cardboard because here's what can happen.

The diluted PVA just soaks right through and lifts the first layer of cardboard as can be seen in a couple of the pics. Also, go easy on the washing up liquid to break down the surface tension, I went stupid with the Fairy - oi you lot, keep your comments to your self !! - and ended up with a bubble bath !

I'm going to bed.

Cheers.

Allan.

!

attachicon.gifSIGNAL BOX BALLASTING DILEMA 001.JPGattachicon.gifSIGNAL BOX BALLASTING DILEMA 003.JPGattachicon.gifSIGNAL BOX BALLASTING DILEMA 004.JPGattachicon.gifSIGNAL BOX BALLASTING DILEMA 006.JPGattachicon.gifSIGNAL BOX BALLASTING DILEMA 007.JPGattachicon.gifSIGNAL BOX BALLASTING DILEMA 011.JPG

Leave it long enough it could look like the sea wall at Dawlish/Teignmouth. As they say prototype for everything

Edited by mullie

All joking aside, the buildings and the gates look great, these things happen to all of us.

If you look at my Pott Row thread you'll see that at one point I stripped away all the ballast and redid it all and rebuilt both three way points. A board just 4x1 has taken me four years to get to its current stage!

All joking aside, the buildings and the gates look great, these things happen to all of us.

If you look at my Pott Row thread you'll see that at one point I stripped away all the ballast and redid it all and rebuilt both three way points. A board just 4x1 has taken me four years to get to its current stage!

Now that's just about competes with the Continental Drift Mullie - what on earth are you playing at mate ?!

Cheers.

Allan

Level crossing diorama finished and the lifting cardboard sorted - It got nailed down !

Cheers.

Allan

The juxtaposition of photos of superb artistry with the comical suggestion of bodgery can only make one shake one's head in amusement and admiration.

As the saying goes, class will tell! In this case it's shouting out loud! If you get those houses in the background a bit closer to scale you'll have people thinking you built them as part of the diorama, and I bet there's a few of your neighbour's wishing you had! Jolly well done that man! :fan: :good:

Bill

Allan, those photographs are simply stunning! I couldn't pick one favourite - perhaps the 4th (006) or 5th (008).

My favourite is the first.When I first saw this I spotted the blue sky and fluffy clouds and immediately thought,"Oh he's had PeterKern photoshop the whole shebang."It was only when I looked at the other images that I realised that, "Oh my God these pictures are for real!"

3584 posts and this thread still has the capacity to amaze me.The most impressive thing is how little time it's taken Allan to put it all together and not a nail-head in sight.The ornamental barge-boards and roof ridge set off the signal box perfectly,love it all.

PS. I forgot to thank Allan for the tip on how to use the page up/down and arrow buttons on my computer keyboard.I'm now whizzing around the internet like Mr Mchenry whizzes around the magic roundabout.Brilliant stuff.

Edited by iainp

• RMweb Premium

Blimey... You have a week away and miss so much it feels like you've been away for months. This isn't a "hot topic", it's smoking! 

If anyone did a diorama on the Magic Roundabout, I'd really like to see that, almost as much as I'd like one of Fawlty Towers. I'm tempted to have a go myself, but with my current workload, it's going to remain a glint in the eye... 

Right Guys, it's the Chester rows - again ! - the wife's orders...and this is where everything comes to a screaming halt!

It takes an age to map  out - and this is only one gable and the tip of the iceberg at that - and the cutting out even longer.

All I have to work from -violins whenever you're ready... - is a photo on the computer screen of my first effort where I have little or no idea at all of any of the dimensions but that's not as important as being able to reconise the model for what it's supposed to be when it's finished so, here's progress so far - VERY slow !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-18648600-1396622520_thumb.jpg

post-18579-0-43212600-1396622530_thumb.jpg

post-18579-0-10746200-1396622540_thumb.jpg

post-18579-0-89955600-1396622551_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The juxtaposition of photos of superb artistry with the comical suggestion of bodgery can only make one shake one's head in amusement and admiration.

Alan

Yet again stunning results, which I must say is greatly improved by the use of decent chaired track