If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The original Fantasy Football

andyram

No not the Daily Telegraph version!!!

A couple of weeks ago I happened across a very readable book in a garden centre about the history of football stories in children's comic books. I have to confess I did not buy it, but happily flicked through the pages whilst my wife was browsing through the craft making area. It certainly brought a few names flooding back from my childhood. I had forgot just how many footballing comic strips there were out there!!! So here I present my comic book Fantasy Football team!

1. CHARLIE "IRON" BARR - apparantly he had his own comic strip. I happened across him in the old "Picture story monthly" comic book series which I used to collect, (and still have in the loft). Played for "United" and always depicted playing minus socks!

2. TUG WILSON - team mate of the above in the "United" stories. Hard tackling defender.

3. BLACKIE GRAY - Roy Race's mate!

4. RAMMER REEVES - a less than intelligent giant of a defender from the picture story monthly series. There doesn't seem to be many defenders I can remember. I'm struggling already!

5. JOHNNY DEXTER - Now I remember one! The "Hard Man" as he was known in his comic strip. I remember his comic strip ended when he moved to Melchester Rovers and became part of the main story in "Roy of the Rovers".

6. ALEX "HEDGEHOG" JONES - another one from the old "Picture story monthly" strips about "United". I believe he appeared in early comic strips too. Spiky haired midfielder!

7. KEVIN "MIGHTY" MOUSE - played in specs and dribbled around everyone!!!

8. ANDY STEEL - a more recent comic book "hero". He appeared in a short lived comic book called "Hotshot" in a story called "Playmaker".

9. ROY RACE - surely no one can miss "Roy of the Rovers" out of their team!

10. HAMISH BALFOUR - or Hot Shot Hamish as he was known - removed entire goal posts with his shots! Appeared in a comic strip with Kevin Mouse.

11. BILLY - can't remember his second name, just make sure he is wearing his special boots!!!!

So there is my fantasy football team. Hope it raises a few memories!

Archived