Identifiying Loco address with Bachmann E-Z command ?

Chris_nicole

Hi,

I have a Bachmann E-Z Command DCC controller from their Digital Starter set.

Recently I bought a 2nd-hand Hornby J52 0-6-0, this is marked as DCC Fitted.

I don't know what address the J52 is using. It only responds to number 10 (Analogue/DC Control) on the E-Z Command Controller (and buzzes horribly).

The E-Z instructions say new loco's should use address 3 as default, then you can change the address to one of your choice (1-9) by holding down the stop and new address buttons together.

If a new Loco is not addressed as 3 (It doesn't respond to button 3), how do I find out what address it is using ?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Chris Nicole

• RMweb Premium

With the E-ZCommand you can't read back anything. Try setting it's address to the one you want just as you would if it were a brand new loco/chip. Make sure you have isolated any other locos first though.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

erm,

it only responds as if it's a DC loco and buzzes a lot? - sounds like it's DCC READY not DCC fitted - i.e. fitted with a blanking plug ready to accept the decoder of your choice.

Although, the only service sheet I can find for a Hornby 0-6-0 DCC equipped chassis shows a non-standard 4 pin connector on the chip, so maybe the loco was DCC fitted originally and someone has took the chip out and bridged the connections???

With the E-ZCommand you can't read back anything. Try setting it's address to the one you want just as you would if it were a brand new loco/chip. Make sure you have isolated any other locos first though.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

IIRC The E-Z instructions (I don't have them with me) assume that you know the new loco's address before you change it. Or that all new loco/chips default address is 3.

If I don't know the starting address, I don't know how I would change it.

:blink:

Chris

erm,

it only responds as if it's a DC loco and buzzes a lot? - sounds like it's DCC READY not DCC fitted - i.e. fitted with a blanking plug ready to accept the decoder of your choice.

Although, the only service sheet I can find for a Hornby 0-6-0 DCC equipped chassis shows a non-standard 4 pin connector on the chip, so maybe the loco was DCC fitted originally and someone has too the chip out and bridged the connections???

It responds to the E-Z controller as if it is a DC loco.

The Loco is clearly marked as DCC fitted on the keeper plate. It was bought from a reputable dealer, but without packaging or instructions. I believe it may originally have been part of a Hornby DCC set, possibly the East Coast Pullmann R1097 set.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Dave,

IIRC The E-Z instructions (I don't have them with me) assume that you know the new loco's address before you change it. Or that all new loco/chips default address is 3.

If I don't know the starting address, I don't know how I would change it.

:blink:

Chris

Hi Chris.

If the loco is fitted with a decoder ? & you don't know the address,reset the decoder to it default setting. This would mean that the loco address would revert to its default address 3. Try putting 8 in CV 8 to reset the decoder.

• RMweb Gold

It responds to the E-Z controller as if it is a DC loco.

The Loco is clearly marked as DCC fitted on the keeper plate. It was bought from a reputable dealer, but without packaging or instructions. I believe it may originally have been part of a Hornby DCC set, possibly the East Coast Pullmann R1097 set.

Thanks,

Chris

I'd still whip the body off and make sure there's a decoder in there, the buzzing sound is a bit of a give-away to me ......

• RMweb Premium

The E-Z Command can't set any CV values apart from bashing a short address into CV1 so a reset can't be done as far as I am aware. Even though you don't know the address I think the E-Z Command should(!) be able to set an address. Make sure the loco is the only one on the track and try the address setting button sequence.

If that doesn't work I'll have a play with the E-Z Command I have in the cupboard somewhere (hopefully with the instructions) and see what can be done.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Chris.

If the loco is fitted with a decoder ? & you don't know the address,reset the decoder to it default setting. This would mean that the loco address would revert to its default address 3. Try putting 8 in CV 8 to reset the decoder.

Is that something I can do with the E-Z controller, or do I need something more advanced ?

Chris

It sounds like the loco does not have a decoder in it - if it did have it would not buzz or work on button 10.

I think that you need to take it back to the retailer and have it tested, and get the retailer to set the address to 3 (or what you want it to be). If the address is not 1-9 you will be a bit stuck for changing it.

Thanks all for the advice.

I'll have to wait until I get home before I can try much else with it.

If the chip is missing, then I will take it back to the shop and see if we can get one fitted.

It's still a very nice model and was a real bargain!

Chris

To get the EZ to programme an address you need to hold down the stop and #3 to get into the programming mode ( rapidly blinking red light).....then just select the new address (1-9). This will reset the decoder to the new address ( provided one is fitted)

Regards

Colin

Hi,

I have a Bachmann E-Z Command DCC controller from their Digital Starter set.

Recently I bought a 2nd-hand Hornby J52 0-6-0, this is marked as DCC Fitted.

I don't know what address the J52 is using. It only responds to number 10 (Analogue/DC Control) on the E-Z Command Controller (and buzzes horribly).

The E-Z instructions say new loco's should use address 3 as default, then you can change the address to one of your choice (1-9) by holding down the stop and new address buttons together.

If a new Loco is not addressed as 3 (It doesn't respond to button 3), how do I find out what address it is using ?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Chris Nicole

Hi,

I took the body off the loco last night.

(Easy once I found the clip at the bunker end...)

This loco doesn't have a chip anymore.

There's some fairly obvious reworked solder on the motor connections.

The plastic chip bracket is still there, but the chip and all its associated wiring had been removed by a previous owner.

:angry:

I'll be calling on my train shop this weekend to see what we can do about it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Any recommendations for an inexpensive replacement chip ?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Glad to be of help Chris

to be honest, with regards to a chip you will find that a Hornby chip is a bit rough with this motor, I have a Thomas with this set-up and an R8215 which worlks fine enough for the the kids but if it were a "serious" loco on my layout would have a TCS-M1 or a Lenz Standard (if one will fit).

Whatever it's a hard wire job now. See what the shop says first as it was not as described if they sold it to you as DCC fitted .....

I took my loco back to the shop and had an amicable discussion with the shop keeper.

I now have a replacement chip and advice where to put it!

Now I just need to practice the dark arts (soldering) before I toast the thing.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Archived