Point lanterns/indicators

Martino

• RMweb Premium

Given that most British narrow gauge lines didn't have a great deal of signaling, was there ever any use of lanterns or 'switch stands' like European railways, or US railroads had?

• RMweb Gold

I've never seen one or a picture of one on a British n.g. line and i suspect they simply weren't used.  After all they weren't used on British s.g. lines except the sort of ground mounted rotating lamps that were used as non-inrependent indicators on some signalbox worked points.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I've never seen anything either. Mind you, I've not seen the ground mounted rotating lanterns on SG lines either. I'm looking for an excuse to have something on my garden railway, as I can't see the setting of the points from a distance, and haven't worked out a way to link point orientation to semaphore signal aspect yet!

• RMweb Premium

Ah, yes Master. But how to get the semaphore signal to work in conjunction with the point? We're talking 16mm/ft here, in an outdoor environment with hurricanes, tropical storms, garden irrigation systems etc.

I may have to adopt Rule 8 here, and adapt some continental practice!

• RMweb Gold

Ah, yes Master. But how to get the semaphore signal to work in conjunction with the point? We're talking 16mm/ft here, in an outdoor environment with hurricanes, tropical storms, garden irrigation systems etc.

I may have to adopt Rule 8 here, and adapt some continental practice!

Mechanical linkage to a rotating lamp which, depending on your taste for colours will show either whit/green or yellow/green alternatives depending on how the point is set?

• RMweb Premium

That's a great idea, thanks. I'll work on some modifications to some European based kit.

Thanks everyone.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late post. Back in t' old days when the NGRS had their museum at Betchworth (before moving to Amberley) there was a signal post consisting of a white post of approx 3' 6" height. On top of this was a red disc with a white reverse, operated by a hand lever. It had no interlocking though.

I expect the example is now at Amberley. 

Eric

Archived