If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Thatcham MOD Depot and Colthrop Sidings, Berkshire - 1970s and 1980

Ben04uk

Does anyone have any memories of the rail link to the former MOD Storage Depot at Thatcham in the 1970s and 1980s, or any of the other rail sidings between Reading and Newbury, including the extensive sidings at Colthrop? I know Padworth Sidings at Aldermaston has been previously discussed. I remember as a child seeing some old Vanfits/Vanwides in the MOD sidings but they didn't appear to have been moved for years, and some TAA wagons at the sidings serving the oil depot near Newbury Racecourse. Does anyone have any photos or can anyone point me in the way of any that show the rail facilities that were there? 

I am just about old enough as well to remember the sidings to the east of Newbury station (which is now a Sainsbury's and SCATs Country Stores). What freight services and types of goods delivered would have been seen in these sidings during this period? I don't recall ever seeing anything stored here, not even departmental ballast wagons - only Track Maintenance related rolling stock.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

As a local I'd be very interested to hear any info on these places, it seems to be scarce.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a link to some information regarding the signal box in the early 70s: http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwa/S186.htm

Parts of the entrance points to the MOD base are still in situ, as are the gates. The gates can also be seen at the entrance to what was once the mill siding on the up line.

I hear the signal box, along with Kintbury are being abolished this year, shame.

Archived