An Australian Locomotive Guide - Peter Clark

EddieB

Ordered from Amazon UK back in October 2012, my copy of this newish book finally arrived today.  It's a just bigger than pocket sized hardback (think Colin Marden's annual Rail Guides in landscape, rather than portrait orientation) and covers all the diesel and electric locomotives used on Australian main lines and export mineral lines, together with operational preserved steam locomotives.

Layout is an adaptation of the "Observer's" style, with a photo (usually colour) at the top of the page, with number series, a table of characteristics and dimensions and a short summary underneath.  Builders are identified, but no works numbers are given.  Names are presented for some classes that carried them, but omitted for others.

The landscape format means that the photographs have a rather strange aspect ratio of around 2.5:1  As a result many of the shots are broadside or near broadside, rather than the more familiar 3/4 view.  The vast majority of the photographs are the work of the author, Peter Clark; good on the whole although in some cases I'm sure better illustrations could be found.

For diesels the locomotive types are arranged by engine specification within engine manufacturer.  I find this arrangement very confusing, as this isn't the way I'd tend to look something up, and assumes prior technical knowledge of the subject.  For a number of entries, the original owner (to which the number series given refers) isn't always clear.  Thankfully, there are good indexes at the back, ordered by original and current operator - quite necessary in my humble opinion.

Setting out to combine all Australian diesel and electric locomotives into a single concise volume, the book does achieve a worthwhile aim, and is very useful as an update to all those old "Railmacs".  However, at times the layout, content and presentation is counterintuitive.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A useful review, thanks Eddie.

While I was in Oz last year I came across another book, "Power to the Rails: A History of Victoria's Diesel and Electric Locomotives" by John Scott, that may also be of interest.

I see it even has its own web site: http://www.powertotherails.com.au/ This gives some snapshots of the contents.

It does not come up on Amazon alas but I can recommend it to those with Australian / Victorian traction interests. I paid AUD65 for my copy.

all the best,

Keith

Archived