Riverside North

ScCa

I have been meaning to start this topic for almost two years now, and now when I do get round to it, the layout has been dismantled and is no more.

I won't go into the reasoning for this layout, I wrote about this in my blog in the summer of 2011, a blog I failed to keep up to date as I progressed.  This topic is I guess I way of recording Riverside North, sharing some photos and my mistakes with others.

The layout itself was located in a small room ( 9ft x 6ft ish) in the house. What started as an end to end quickly ended up going round the room with a 6 lane traverser fiddle yard and a lifting section at the door. In hindsight I was never going to finish the layout, it ended up far to big for the time I had available what with work and family commitments. A lesson here for all I reckon, if only I remember this in planning the next layout...

Riverside North was an N gauge layout and set around a small riverside intermodal dockyard where the small feeder container ships would unload their goods.  The main features were a small container ship and dockside crane for loading and unloading the ship onto the waiting lorries and wagons.

Anyway, here's some pictures. Hopefully someone finds them interesting...

Scott

IMG_2976_zps14a071ae.jpg

IMG_2982_zpsb553a6a6.jpg

IMG_2988_zpsa837f432.jpg

IMG_2999_zpsf92f219c.jpg

Scott - the ship and crane were scratch built. The hull of the vessel is a combination of balsa wood and card and the superstructure is mainly plastic sheets. The crane was entirely made from a variety of plastruct shapes 

Yes, it was a shame but it had to go due to recent building work on the house.  A few years back I had a choice to make due to the limited space. A OO sound end to end or maximise space with N. I sold what OO kit I had and went N.

The N gauge stock is all boxed, including ship and crane and will be going on a well known auction site in the near future when the building work is finished. The planning for my new layout starts now. 

Well they look really good and I'm sure there will be plenty of interest on Ebay. Now can I fit an N gauge dock layout in somewhere?? :nono:
 Good luck with the new layout and try and get round to starting a topic for it and don't leave it for 2 years!

Cheers

Scott

Archived