3D Printing Concrete Sleepered PW

Was just reading through on the forum about making hand built points and got to thinking....!

Has anyone tried to print out the sleepers for a custom point, crossover etc?  Be it to fit a custom design or for a specific gauge.

Main reason I have for asking this is that all you have ready made (that I know of!) represents wooden sleepers.

Given Templot can do all of the work in regard to alignment and spacing could the whole layout of sleepers be exported and manipulated for printing?  You could then add in the shape of the sleepers and add in some slim ties to hold them together.  Maybe even drop in the manufacturers name and some clips to align the track.  Would work in any scale too.

Anyhow just a thought!

I did in N. Couldn't make the chairs suitably strong. Possibly using specially drawn rail with an extra 'foot' like the Peco code 55 would work.

I think however its the wrong tool for the job. The 2mmSA has rather nice milled plastic ones and there's an N scale track project to do something similar but also having moulded chairs that plug into pre drilled holes in the base.

Alan

I did in N. Couldn't make the chairs suitably strong. Possibly using specially drawn rail with an extra 'foot' like the Peco code 55 would work.

I think however its the wrong tool for the job. The 2mmSA has rather nice milled plastic ones and there's an N scale track project to do something similar but also having moulded chairs that plug into pre drilled holes in the base.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I would have been surprised if it had not been done already.  For me it would be done in EM so may be able to build in enough strength given the size.  

Steven

I think two things work against it, one being the materials currently used and the other being the demand. 

The materials issue can be overcome by using a 3D printed master to cast in a more suitable material, but the second issue is that pointwork with concrete bearers is a comparatively recent thing and still isn't widespread across the network, so is limited in appeal.

It is technically possible though.

Archived