North Devon Model Railway Show Bideford May 26th 2013

mudmagnet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi David

Sorry, can't remember the name, but will find out.

Hi David, I hope this is a help to you.

Assuming you are counting to number 7 from the top of the pics and are looking at the coal wagons standing in a coal yard ?.

The layout is called 'Spelsbury' and is set in Oxfordshire as a branch off the Oxford - Worcester mainline - Spelsbury is an actual village between Charlbury and Chipping Norton that was never actualy served by the railways - Charlbury station being the nearest.

The layout is rather different in some ways due to the somewhat unusual twin bridges over a valley between the goods depot (pictured) and the passenger station (shown in photo 8 with a Crosti boilered BR 9F in the platform!!).

The main branch runs past the goods yard without any connection as the goods yard is served by a back-shunt over the 'iron bridge' across the valley - the main branch track crosses the valley on a stone built 4 arch viaduct set at an angle to the 'iron bridge'. This unusual arrangement is due to the former quarry that existed past the goods depot area - and will be the subject of an addition to Spelsbury over the comming months.

A lot of nice comments have been made about Spelsbury due to this different aspect of the layout and the fact that there is actualy 3 stations within the 20 feet length of the layout - the goods depot, the passenger station - photo 8 - and something sometimes missed by viewers - East Spelsbury Halt tucked in the cutting behind the goods depot - this once served the quarry but remains open to serve the eastern end of the village over the valley from the main passenger station.

The layout was built 3 years ago but has still to have some work done on it such as signals and a bit more scenic detailing.

Spelsbury is operated on DCC using a Digitrax 'Zephyr' command station and one handheld controller.

The layout is available for exhibitions and prospective invitations are very welcome.

As you can probably guess from the above the layout was built by me with the help of my son Craig (who was responsible for running my Crosti over the branch!!) and I was very pleased to have brought it from Weymouth (together with a large Thomas the Tank engine display next door to it) to Bideford to support Maurice and Mac in their very worthwhile efforts to raise money for the charity.

If anyone would like any more information about Spelsbury or indeed our Thomas layout please reply and i'll be only too happy to oblige.

Best Regards to you all,

Rob

Hi Rob

Very many thanks for the info you supplied. Would you be kind enough to PM me so that we can discuss things further please?

With many thanks again

exmoordave

Hi David, I've sent you a PM but as hadnt heard back from you was wondering if something might have gone wrong and you havnt recieved it.

Best Regards,

Robbie

Archived