The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Railway Magazine June 2013

APOLLO

I don't wish to be political here, and I will not rant on, but it is refreshing to see some actual facts on the current and future states of the UK energy industry, an industry (gas) that I have worked in for over 40 years, when North Sea gas was being introduced. Nick Pigott, editor of RM sums my (and many, many others) current thoughts and fears up in his editorial quite well.

Also look at page 7, 2 articles headed - CLOSED, Maltby, Daw Mill and several opencast mines, "Almost half of Britain's remaining coal mining industry has been closed down in the space of a few weeks". Alongside is an article headed Days of the coal train could be numbered, operators tell ORR.  News on Hatfield also, and not looking good (for the colliery).

Read about how the ORR wish to increase tariffs for conveying both imported and home produced Coal and Biomass, which may shift this back onto road.

Apart from Hatfield, there are only TWO deep mines left, Kellingley (Yorkshire) & Thoresby (Notts).

Railway Magazine June 2013, Buy it and read it, it will make your hair stand on end.

Worth buying also for the fantastic photo by Gavin Morrison on page 22, one of the best steam action shots of all time.

Brit15

Its not just here but all over, back in 2008 I think Germany announced that it was shutting down its last six mines. I think the future of the industry, do not quote me I know next to nothing, is a move towards smaller shaft mines, that will most likely move the product locally and via roads. The general theme of the time is a move towards more natural forms of energy. Peat renaissance, anyone? 

Archived