Flashing Hazards for a Oxford Low Loader

Heinz57

Hi all,

I have recently purched one of the Oxford Diecast low loaders.

I was thinking about fitting working hazzard/warning lights to the top of the cab. Just wondering, what will be the best way to do this? Is there a ready made circuit avalible that would be suitable to use? (perhaps by just changing an LED colour to orange) Or have I got to make the circuit myself (in which case would someone know of a suitable circuit diagram?)

I could run it off a 12v supply, however, that might limit me to only having it in one location. Perhaps running it off a button-battey type supply I could have it wherever I wanted it to be.

Has anyone ever attempted this before? How easy or difficult would it be for me (someone who tends to be useless at this sort of thing) to do this modification?

Cheers,

Heinz

The signalist SC1 controller will do what you need for a fixed installation on AC, DC or DCC. It has eight outputs that can be individually configured for flashing lights, xenon flashers or rotating beacon which should cover most likely scenarios, You might need to find a friend to configure it with DecoderPro or another DCC programmer, or perhaps the supplier might be able to do it for you. Available here:-

CR Signals

CoastalDCC

Just add LEDs and power.

At Derby exhibition last weekend there was a trader selling just such flashing lights but I'm afraid I didn't take any more notice than that. If you can find the thread on the exhibition and see which traders were there, you may be able to find something useful.

Have you considered using fibre optic cable? This would allow the lorry to be lit form a remote location like under the baseboard. one LED supplying all the light, rather than having to work the whole mechanism into the lorry.

Have you considered using fibre optic cable? This would allow the lorry to be lit form a remote location like under the baseboard. one LED supplying all the light, rather than having to work the whole mechanism into the lorry.

I have successfully used this method before to have working lights in N gauge vehicles so there's no reason why it shouldn't work in OO just using larger fibre optics. I just carefully drilled a 0.5mm hole in the end of an LED to insert the fibre optic then ran it through from under the board to its location, once working I covered the LED and interface in black paint and PVA to seal it to minimise light loss.

A number of people were very confused as to why one of my N gauge cars appeared to have working hazard lights and brakes on (flashing yellow LED and red LED respectively).

Thanks chaps. The express models flasher unit looks spot on for what I'm looking for.

How easy is it to physicaly fit the LEDs into the cab?

At Derby exhibition last weekend there was a trader selling just such flashing lights but I'm afraid I didn't take any more notice than that. If you can find the thread on the exhibition and see which traders were there, you may be able to find something useful.

I remember seeing the guys with the model buses with the flashing units, and All Components

Archived