TRICKS OF THE TRADE : the details that count.

I managed to upload these images from old MR articles all thanks to Peter Leyland who photographed them and sent them by Email, so thanks again Peter.

So here are some of the methods used utilising various commercial products, mostly Evergreen Plastics, and nothing more fancifull than Prototype Brickpapers available from Freestone Models - Oh, and a 'little' bit of cardboard!

I hope this will be of interestand, possibly a little help, and offer a few ideas.

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-17721400-1368881482.jpgpost-18579-0-96494400-1368881497.jpgpost-18579-0-02796900-1368881513.jpgpost-18579-0-54311800-1368881538.jpgpost-18579-0-21177100-1368881563.jpgpost-18579-0-64236900-1368881467.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the chimney bendy trick Allan, sure looks easier than all those peskey mitres I`ve been cursing over for years, save mitring for the woodwork shop me thinks!

Between Iain and yourself Sasquatch has been very inspired of late, having scratch built farm buildings (based on shawn the sheep) and a mill complex all for a Yorkshire dale layout I've been planing for years. My layouts usually start off with the buildings,it's the best part!    

Shaun  

...... My layouts usually start off with the buildings,it's the best part!    

Shaun  

Mine too, problem is that they end with the buildings also then I have to rip them up to find room for the track!

Cheers.

Allan

PS:took a look at your blog and Goathland - terrific!

Making concrete----and access ladders.

First build a coaling towere, then milk it to death !

Seriously, build the structure out of card then mix up a paste of actual neat cement with a 50/50 mix of PVA and water, then using a largish brush,brush on the mix either across or down, but always in one direction (this is to simulate the wood graining in the concrete after the shuttering  has been struck) then when dry, lightly sand it and weather with powdered charcoal ( just keep rubbing a charcoel stick up and down a large course file and you'll soon end up with a heap of it where most of it will invarioubly end up all in one place and where it heads for first - up your nose.

The access ladders I have explained elsewhere but don't know where elsewhere is! - so here's a repeat.

Cut a three section wide strip of square sectioned chicken wire, fold up into a U shape  - access ladders in minutes !

post-18579-0-54601700-1368899979.jpgpost-18579-0-87117900-1368900018.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Had to look at these pictures for about 5 minutes to determine if this was a model or not!

The 45xx is Bachmann but the Ivatt is the real macoy! 

Brilliant Allan!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Mine too, problem is that they end with the buildings also then I have to rip them up to find room for the track!

Cheers.

Allan

PS:took a look at your blog and Goathland - terrific!

Thanks! Goathland is mostly RTP I'm afraid. The buildings are undergoing a repaint as part of an extensive detail upgrade along with new working signals and my uncoupling system.When I finish this alderwood library that is!

Had to look at these pictures for about 5 minutes to determine if this was a model or not!

The 45xx is Bachmann but the Ivatt is the real macoy! 

Brilliant Allan!!!!

Now that is interesting Sasquatch, and I mean really interesting.

Until you pointed it out, I never knew that the 45xx under the coaler was a Bachmann model where either it was there when Tony Wright took the original photograph, or that he put it there for the photoshop - I just hope the Engine shed isn't Scaledale !!!

Cheers.

Allan.

I really need a fix!

This photo was Emailed to me by Mate Peter Leyland, a kind thought and much appreciated but-

Everytime I went to upload it onto here, no way ! all I got was "File not permitted" but only on here and not elsewhere, so, another ten goes later, and withiout ANY modifications - said picture!

And you wonder why Morrisons are changing all it's stores around so you can find bxxxer all, and neither can the people that work there - roll on 2014!!!!

Anyway, all I wanted to say was - DON'T use wonky windows, paper thin screen printed in case you don't know - and this is as big as I can get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-80809300-1369073079.jpg

• RMweb Premium

My lastest attempt at scratch building windows involved scribing lines into a sheet of clear plastic then rubbing acrylic paint into the scribe lines and framing with evergreen strip.

I like the effect when the light reflects of of these as each pane looks individual. I know what you mean by wonky though!!

Shaun

Roy England, late of Pendon - used cotton stretched across the back of the window aperture as glazing bars - even wonkier still!

The scribe and paint method you described works very well but I could never get a good clean scribe, too' hairy' at the edges!

Cheers.

Allan.

WATER - the modelmakers worst enemy?

Varnish, clear resin,  paint, even fish glue, I've tried it all and, in my opinion, the easiest, quickest and most effective - PVA glue.

Paint the bed, brush it on, stipple it, leave it to dry - water!

So below, a couple of examples.

post-18579-0-79651800-1369142983.jpgpost-18579-0-91349500-1369143031.jpg

BUILDING CHURCH TOWERS.

The trick here is keeping everything square and enabling access for window fitting and an almost impossible task once the tower has been built and all boxed up.

So I found it more convenient to cut out all four sides of the tower, complete each side in every aspect, stonework, moulding and the fitting of any doors and the windows, then box up all four sides where the corner joints are hidden behind each corner pier.

The top castelated section is made up as a seperate unit then fixed onto the top of the tower after it has been assembled and kept square with top and bottom plates.

post-18579-0-11581000-1369144647_thumb.jpg

That's one heck of a fantastic church. I see you're name checked in the Workbench Supplement in this month's Model Rail :)

Really? thanks Feebs, must get a copy - long time now since I read any magazine.

Now Feebs what I would really like to know, is how on gods earth did you see it before I even sent it in, let alone make comment!!!

What a talent Feebs, and on my thread too!!!

Cheers.

Allan.

There's a "Model Buildings" supplement with this month's Model Rail, and on the very first page there's a picture of the steel works :)

I replied to your post 3 minutes after you'd posted... Me no understandy.. :)

There's a "Model Buildings" supplement with this month's Model Rail, and on the very first page there's a picture of the steel works :)

I replied to your post 3 minutes after you'd posted... Me no understandy.. :)

Well this time I beat you to it freebs...er any news on the whereabouts of Robinson, which prison, allowed bail, deported, hung, disembowled, disowned,exiled, trapped in mine, really deep mine, really deep deep mine, inaccessable, anything else equally as insufferable that we can hope for etc, etc?

Cheers.

Allan.

Archived