BR(W) loco-hauled coach livery 1948-1964

I've done a page hopefully covering the main bases, and Chris F will clarify the situation on the application date of the coach number W suffixes when he gets round to it. I'd like to show a couple of model pic, and have contacted Brian Kirby for a pic of his green Hawksworth compo (part of his Swindon 119 set), but I recall a good pic someone posted in an RMweb thread of a rake of 3 crimson and cream ex-GWR coaches, but I can't find it - anyone know what the thread was?

• 1 year later...

Fascinating, thank you!

What about BR built stock though, please? Mk1's.

Did they follow the crimson&cream, brown&cream, maroon of the pre-BR design stock?

Also, how long did brown & cream livery last, please?

Sorry about all the questions, I've pretty much been a freight man all my life and only recently started to take an interest in coaching stock! :blush:

Many thanks,

John E.

BR Mk 1 stock when first introduced came out in crimson and cream.  Maroon, Southern green and chocolate and cream superseded it gradually from mid 1956 but there was still some around in 1962.

The decision to abandon chocolate and cream was taken around Easter 1962 but again maroon did not supersede it overnight.  There were a lot of piebald sets around!  The first WR named train to receive a maroon set was the Cornish Riviera.

Taking an interest in coaching stock is better late than never IMHO!

Chris

Archived