Barnstaple- parcels traffic in the 1970s

Reading the various postings on parcels traffic on here has led me to wonder why, even into the late 1970s, the Barnstaple branch seemed to carry a lot more parcels traffic than comparable lines elsewhere (the Milford Haven branch, for example). Apart from the dedicated pool of Fruit Ds, that lingered on in a form of shuttle between Exeter St Davids and the terminal, there seemed to be quite a few other vans either attached to the various passenger services or running as part of the branch freights. None of the towns on, or close to, the line would seem to be large enough to generate more than a few mailbags daily. Was there some sort of local industry which justified such a quantity of parcels traffic? A printer, perhaps, or a secret MoD archive?

Yours, curiously.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Reading the various postings on parcels traffic on here has led me to wonder why, even into the late 1970s, the Barnstaple branch seemed to carry a lot more parcels traffic than comparable lines elsewhere (the Milford Haven branch, for example). Apart from the dedicated pool of Fruit Ds, that lingered on in a form of shuttle between Exeter St Davids and the terminal, there seemed to be quite a few other vans either attached to the various passenger services or running as part of the branch freights. None of the towns on, or close to, the line would seem to be large enough to generate more than a few mailbags daily. Was there some sort of local industry which justified such a quantity of parcels traffic? A printer, perhaps, or a secret MoD archive?

Yours, curiously.

Brian

Barnstaple was a parcels concentration depot with an extensive road delivery area so I suspect that the vans were most closely associated with traffic for that. There was also a Barnstaple sort for 'papers and I know at one time they went forward by rail from St Davids, for example in 1971 the 00.40 Padd-Pze conveyed a GUV (News) for Barnstaple, detached Exeter. Barnstaple was also a concentration point for GPO traffic and, again taking 1971 as the example, the 22.20 Padd-Pze Postal conveyed a Siphon G extreme rear for Barnstaple, detached Exeter. Interestingly the latter (and its predecessor from Waterloo) had for many years after the line closed a BR operated connection from Barnstaple to Lynton :blink:

In West Wales the most westerly parcels concentration depots were at Whitland (which I think went at some time in the early '70s?) and Carmarthen with very limited passenger rated wet fish in boxes despatched from Milford Haven although how long that lasted I don't know.

Barnstaple was a parcels concentration depot with an extensive road delivery area so I suspect that the vans were most closely associated with traffic for that. There was also a Barnstaple sort for 'papers and I know at one time they went forward by rail from St Davids, for example in 1971 the 00.40 Padd-Pze conveyed a GUV (News) for Barnstaple, detached Exeter. Barnstaple was also a concentration point for GPO traffic and, again taking 1971 as the example, the 22.20 Padd-Pze Postal conveyed a Siphon G extreme rear for Barnstaple, detached Exeter.

In West Wales the most westerly parcels concentration depots were at Whitland (which I think went at some time in the early '70s?) and Carmarthen with very limited passenger rated wet fish in boxes despatched from Milford Haven although how long that lasted I don't know.

Thanks, Mike- that makes a bit more sense now. I could be quite tempted by a mid-70s Barnstaple....

Archived