Scenecraft Coaling Tower

MDM Ltd

• RMweb Gold

My question do you think it is possible to motorize it and have it lift a wagon, empty it and lower it again? Looking at some of the pictures posted I believe so and I could hollow out one or two of the legs for the coal to fall through.

Your thoughts on that guys.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

A bit of imagination is needed.

One option is to have the coal truck raise, no coal fall out, then the full truck lower again.

Another option is to have coal in the truck actually emptying into the tender. However, gravity won't scale.

If in the prototype coaling tower the coal has to fall 80ft, then it will take the coal 2.2 seconds to fall.

( Remember s = ut + 1/2 a t2 )

In a 4mm scale model the coal will fall in 0.26 seconds which is a lot faster than the prototype, and it is unlikely that the protypical cloud of dust will properly materialise.

However, despite the above, as the falling coal is hidden for most of its journey, and if the truck itself is behind the coaling tower one might get away with it.

A coaling operation would certainly make an interesting application of DCC sound, with appropriate sound effects of machinery, coal falling, then crashing into the empty tender, etc and a reasonable sized speaker inside the tower.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Before I get a called a lazy git I have not opened mine as I have so many projects on the go it would just distract me. Added to that my wife is slightly annoyed that 3 rooms now have got trains in them.

My question do you think it is possible to motorize it and have it lift a wagon, empty it and lower it again? Looking at some of the pictures posted I believe so and I could hollow out one or two of the legs for the coal to fall through.

Your thoughts on that guys.

Cheers

Martin

Wouldn't be much of a problem I don't think. The one I'm planning on doing is a bit smaller (single hopper and not such a big bunker), so I'd reckon on a set of brass rails and a lot of work plus winding gear in the top. Good job I'll be slitting it just under the main top bit before the bunker......

A race to see who will motorise theirs first I wonder?

Cheers,

Tim

• 11 years later...