Scenecraft Coaling Tower

MDM Ltd

On the Bachmann homepage, details of the new Coaling Tower

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/

There are 2 fully coloured 3d model pictures showing the various ladders and railings, and two of the master sculpture before first moulding.

Due to arrive in 2nd Quarter.

Oh dear, a duplication with Hornby. Seems that both companies had this item in development at the same time.

However, I think I will be going for the Carnforth model as I remember it so well from the days when they used to coal the Engines working the "Cumbrian Coast Express"

Guest TomTank

Oh dear, a duplication with Hornby. Seems that both companies had this item in development at the same time.

However, I think I will be going for the Carnforth model as I remember it so well from the days when they used to coal the Engines working the "Cumbrian Coast Express"

Yeah guess it's coincidence that both companies have made one, either way both look alot better than my superquick one.

The Bachmann one is based on Carnforth, is the Hornby one based on anywhere or is it just generic?

Also I have seen the Carnforth one many times since a child, I read about there being something wrong with the concrete which

means it can never be used as a working coal tower. Is that right?

Seems a real shame really :(

Guest no1stpaddy

The Bachmann one is based on Carnforth, is the Hornby one based on anywhere or is it just generic?

The Hornby one is based on Immingham depot and is supposedly a ltd edition of 600

The Hornby one is based on Immingham depot and is supposedly a ltd edition of 600

I guess with this early announcement of the Bachmann version, demand for the Hornby one may drop now, depending on the Bachmann price and when it will be in the shops?

Guest Max Stafford

Think it's more of a case of Compared with ??40-45 for the Hornby effort.

Well up to a point I accept that. The Hornby model is an attractive if stylised generic model though, whereas the Bachmann one appears to be a near-scale reproduction of an LMS Type 2 (?) tower. This is also what the Townstreet kit is intended to portray.

Dave.

That could be an interesting project. We've been planning a working coal tower for our new OO layout. We were going to adapt a Rownstreet kit but it might be worth seeing how easy or if at all possible to reengineer the Bachmann or Hornby model.

With it bit of modellers ingenuity it should be quite easy to adapt. The large canopy is open and the model is hollow inside. The rails and lifting cradle could be parted from the model with fine saws and cutters and replaced with a working mechanism, hiding the motor and gears up inside the canopy.

With it bit of modellers ingenuity it should be quite easy to adapt. The large canopy is open and the model is hollow inside. The rails and lifting cradle could be parted from the model with fine saws and cutters and replaced with a working mechanism, hiding the motor and gears up inside the canopy.

That's what I'm hopeing, and to simplify the underneath of the hopper to a single shute without the 'jigger feeders'.

Hi All

I wish they would make a GWR coaling stage, like the one at Didcot.

I know a few pepole who would love one for thier layout.

Maybe one day they will.smile.gif

All the best

Darren

Same Heresmile.gif

By the way, Kernow models has it listed in there weekly newsletter...

44-070 Bachmann Scenecraft Coaling Tower ??72.95.

Despite it being ??32 over the Hornby one, itll be interesting to see which sells the most - fiction, or realism?

Oddly, Hattons have it listed at ??87.00 while Kernow have the RRP at ??84.95

Its not unknown for Hattons to overcharge which will probably come as a surprise to those who think Hattons are always the cheapest :blink: Normally its a rounding up to the nearest pound, ie they charged 5.00 for some Farish wagons which had a list price of 4.75 and typically could be found for 4.25 nearly everywhere else.

• RMweb Gold

Having grown up in carnforth I now have a quandry.... I model modern image.. but carnforth tower still stands? Can I get away with it?

Surely you have answered your own question there.

It still exists today so.........wink.gif