Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Didsbury Station platforms / canopy

The one where you are standing at a controller lookin' good but strugglin' to hold your stomach in.!

Cheers.

Allan

If I had a six pack again I'd pack up drinking. I'd also stop being a liar.

Hi Bennyboy,

Yes, I didn't know that the metrolink was passing over the old track bed, well certainly not at Didsbury, I thought a housing estate put pains to that but very intresting.

Many thanks for your kind comments

Peter.

Treemendus,

hceers for your favourable comments, much apreciated.

Peter

To say it's very, very nice is inadequate. It perfectly represents the station as I recall it, a much more complex prototype than it appears at first glance.

Hi Poggy,

many thanks for your kind comments,

I guess the lack of drawings made it more difficult alltho there were some clues as to its size in the LMS Architecture book  that shows part of a drawing of another station that is similar down the line.

when I was constructing it I thought, there is more to it than first thought but then again thats modelling and when you are modelling a prototype you are allways looking for the delails and finding them :-) 

cheers

Peter

Hi Alan,

Many thanks your kind comments, as you ahve noticed I have now got the images up on the page and the mad thing is, I have done nothing different, it must have been the photobucket program playing up at the time.

The reason I have put a few pics up like this showing the construction is because I find that most people want to see how it developed into the model from the materials used etc.

Had another look through the BRM mags but still no joy at present, the trouble is is that my BRM mags are not in order of date, so all over the place which doesn't really help, will have another go..

Have put some pictures up of my layout on layouts thread, ' Wainthrop Bridge ' some are my own photos but the otheres are 'Tony Wright'

cheers

Peter

Wanna hear something interesting ?

Well I joined another Railway modellers forum and within the FIRST opening post I was accused of being an imposter, a Troll, a trouble maker and If I didn't stop causing trouble I would be thrown off the forum !

Never a dull moment eh ?

Allan

Something that I only realised yesterday is that this is the third model of the station building that I know of, which seems a lot for a smallish station that no longer exists. I guess that there's something about the design that modellers find appealing.

Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear that, I never get involved in arguments or unhealthy debates, they are a boon for upsetting someone ( many personalities ) you see, I hope it all sorts itself out.

cheers

Peter

Hi Bennyboy,

I think perhaps the appeal is probably the quaint gothic style building and on two levels is allways a must model temptation, i  certainly enjoyed constructing it, there is also the walkway and platform canopies too :-)

cheers

Peter

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Peter,

I have only just found your post whilst searching for Didsbury station. Your model is fantastic representation and captures the prototype perfectly.

I was wondering what construction methods did you use and is it situated on a layout at all?

Unfortunately the line closed before my time. However I can just about recall going in the station building when it was in use as a hardware store. As such I have always been fascinated by this route and it's distinctive structures.

Kind Regards,

Jim

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Peter,

Have only just seen your update. What a lovely station and beautiful model - I feel like I was there as some angles I've never seen before. How I wish it still existed... Are the platforms on a slight curve or is that just the photographs?

Cheers,

Jim

Archived