Some of you ECoS users may have got very frustrated waiting for the arrival of the ESU L.Net converter which was first announced in 2012 I think, or it may even have been 2011. This device is intended to allow you to use Loconet throttles and detection devices with an ESU ECoS. You plug the loconet devices into the loconet ports on the L.Net and connect the L.Net to a vacant ECoSLink port on your ECoS with the cable provided with the L.Net.

In line with their recent policy of publishing the manual for new products a couple of weeks before it actually goes on sale, ESU have now published the manual for the L.Net on the german part of their web site, but so far only in german.

Firmware version 3.7.0 for both the monochrome and colour models of the ECoS includes additional functionality specifically for L.Net that will integrate the loconet devices into the ECoS system. 3.7.0 has been in Beta test since earlier this year. ESU have said, again on the german part of their forum, that Firmware 3.7.0 should be released early next week, i.e. early June.

So it looks like ESU are preparing to release L.Net for sale sometime in June or July, and the long wait, if you are a potential customer for L.Net may soon be over.

I cannot say how effective L.Net is/will be, nor can I comment on limitations on its use is as I do not have any loconet devices, nor do I have an L.Net converter. The only point that I would make is that in my experience ESU tend to be very precise in their descriptions of their products in their manuals, and if they say that something will work with items a, b and c, but say nothing about items d, e and f, then do not expect it to work with items d, e and f. I hope I've made myself clear, apologies if I have not.

As far as I know L.Net does not allow you to use ECoSLink devices., e.g. ECoSBoost or ECoSDetector, with a loconet system.

I have no interest in ESU other than being an ECoS user.

Archived