alternative chassis for 009 locomotives

As so many 009 kit manufacturers have found over the years "cheap" and "readily available" are pretty much mutually exclusive...

There have been many different chassis from the US and the Far East that were relatively inexpensive, but seemingly as soon as anyone designed a kit to use them, they went out of production. The only ranges consistently available in this country seem to be Farish and some of the German Manufacturers but they are very much at the other end of the price scale...

N-Drive do an assortment of 0-4-0 chassis aimed specifically at narrow gauge.  They are very nice but a bit noisy.  They quieten down with age, but not much and it takes a while.

The Fleischmann 7000 shunter 0-4-0 chassis is suitable for slightly bigger prototypes.  Mine will eventually go under a Kerr Stuart Brazil kit.  Chris Nevard has used one under one of his locos on Arne Wharf.

I would contend that while N-Drive chassis are undoubtedly good quality, they meet neither of the O/P's critera of 'Cheap' and 'Readily Available'... "...waiting list twice as long as mine..." was the quote from Paul W...

N-Drive Chassis might not be cheap, but if they are exactly what you want without the fuss of building tiny fiddly chassis for yourself, it's worth paying for. (says the bloke who recently spent over 200 quid on a "cheap locomotive" in O scale).

For some of the 8-coupled chassis, perhaps look towards American or Japanese products such as that made by Kato.

Thanks for all the info on the subject, but i think to get a really good look for my locomotives i might have a dabble at scratchbuilding chassis (and maybe even the bodies). Unless anyone has an N gauge 2-6-2T loco  (just the chassis would be a bonus) for sale, i would gladly put an offer in.

Jordan

"Cheap" and "Readily Available" do not always go well together, with the exception of diesel chassis from Kato and Bachmann.

If you are a member of the 009 society (well worth it) give the second-hand sales officer a call, he'll be able to supply second hand chassis or locos that have been tested. Better than dabbling with ebay. Of course the Heljan L&B 2-6-2 will be out in about 18 months, but it won't be cheap! Until then the Minitrix 2-6-2 is the most useful, though only available second hand now. Or if you are feeling brave try a Backwoods kit.

By the way have you tried the http://ngrm-online.com/ forum?

Archived