RMweb

Water Treatment Plant

On page 24 of LMS Engine Sheds (Volume One The L&NWR) by Chris Hawkins & George Reeve is a 1mm:1foot drawing of an un-named water softening and filtration plant, and a not very clear photograph of the system at Coalville shed - which is clear enough to tell it is not the plant drawn, and the text indicates it was constructed outside of the main 1930s scheme.

It strikes me this would be a nice project to add to the MPD we are currently constructing on our club N gauge layout, Meacham, fitting nicely in an area about 10" x 3", and providing an additional source of height, to complement visual effect of the  the concrete ash and coal plants.

Does anyone know of any other sources of photographs or plans of these constructions? Ideally I'm looking for pictures of the plants in the Midland or Central divisions.

Hi Nick.

I'm sure I remember that there is a book out called, I think, Great Northern Engine Sheds that contained many photographs of MPD, coalers, ash plants, water softners etc.

Whan I was a lad, I worked in the Cricklewood Yards, pure LMS of course, and one of the jobs I was given was to hand paint the water softnening plant for which I was given a Turks Head brush, a tin of Red  Oxide paint - and a ladder.

The tank was massive and it took a week to paint it and myself, then when I had finished the yard foreman looked at it and said " You missed a bit, give it another coat ? " !

Anyway, I would imagine, and not unlike most things on the railways, no two water softners would have been alike and most certainly the Cricklewood Coaler, a concrete monster  that threatened anything and everything that ran under it and was most definately a one off ! -  mind you, so was the yard foreman....

Cheers.

Allan

Hi Nick.

I do know that I have built water softening plants for various clients in the past but I haven't any photo's!

Anyway, I doubt that I built any two the same, or any one that was of a prototype - just little more than a large tank really with a few dripping pipes hanging out of it!

Cheers.

Allan.

Archived