Graham Farish HST GNER dummy issue

Spaceman Spiff

G'day,

I have a Graham Farish GNER 2007 version set that I purchased used. I was surprised on how lightweight the coaches are and added some weight to them. The set runs great except for the dummy loco. When it's attached it derails consistently and derails the coaches. Any one else have issues with the dummy or a solution? I'm guessing that getting new bogies for the dummy may be the only solution?

Spiff

Guest bri.s

Are the back to back measurements out sometimes when I've had derailments I check the gap between the wheels sometimes they can be too close together or too far apart you can get a gauge from a the n gauge society that fits between the wheels that will give you the correct distance

Brian

Check for free turning bogies, wheelsets are all free turning (they can get dislodged from bogies and cause a lot of drag and derailments). Check for bogies catching on either the trackwork or bodywork.

Failing that check the trackwork in the areas of derailment - there may be some bump that wheels or flanges are catching on.

Generally, the problems above are invariably the cause of derailments. The coaches themselves should *not* need extra weight - more weight will just strain your loco as it tries to shift it.

Cheers,
Alan

I have a similar set and have weighted the Dummy and the coaches each with 10g. I tend to use 'stick on' motorcycle wheel weights from eBay and put them in the chasis moulding that sits between the bogies so that the weight is low down.

This set is one of the best runners I have, so there must be another reason for it de-railing. As the others have suggested, try looking at the bogies, check the back to backs (even roughly against another coach that runs OK will do), the track, check the wheels are free running and that they are aligned correctly.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I put a bit of silicon lube on the axles to improve the free-wheeling-ness of the dummy, it seems to have made it run a bit better.  As well as the back to back, check that the bogies turn well - I found that on an old one I had the bogie was catching the front valance.

Hope you manage to sort it!

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

I was finally able to get around to looking at the HST. I did minor trimming of the valence but the bigger issue was that all the wheels were out of guage (too narrow). I managed to adjust them and it seems ok now.

Thanks for the help

Spiff

Archived