Berlin: Zug der Erinnerung

FelixM

Hello everybody,

today from 9:15 am to 10 pm the Zug der Erinnerung (train of remembrance) made a stop in Berlin Ostbahnhof on a track usually used for S-Bahn traffic. It contains a gallery covering the topic of deportation of jews in the Drittes Reich in Germany and the important role of the Deutsche Reichsbahn.

I changed there on my way home and let one S-Bahn train go without me to take these photos.

8928689728_d899fb60f5_b.jpg
Zug der Erinnerung: Offener Güterwagen und Tankwagen von – FelixM – auf Flickr

8928678522_ae139d4b2b_b.jpg
Zug der Erinnerung: Dreiachsiger Umbauwagen von – FelixM – auf Flickr

8928667276_ea34893a9f_b.jpg
Zug der Erinnerung: Halbgepäckwagen von – FelixM – auf Flickr

8928656110_907f6b7381_b.jpg
Zug der Erinnerung: Packwagen von – FelixM – auf Flickr

The Zug der Erinnerung also has a German Wikipedia article: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zug_der_Erinnerung

Usually this train has a steam loco attached steaming, but not moving. Due to the several station halls on the Berlin Stadtbahn steam engines aren't allowed there. But there may be exceptions, I once saw a BR 55 in Berlin Friedrichstraße with its funnel placed outside the hall.

I sometimes take pictures of the railways of my surrounding (mostly Berlin). If you are interested in more photos do not hesitate to ask. You are welcome.

Kind regards

Felix

Nice photos and an interesting piece, Felix.

Strange that steam is not allowed in the rebuilt Ostbanhof - I just missed an 01.15 on my first visit (which was before it became Hauptbanhof, in turn before it became Ostbanhof again).  In fact, I was musing the other day that (East) Berlin was probably one of the last European capital cities to see regularly timetabled steam workings. 

While the train does have impact, it would be even starker if a representation of the actual wagons used (or even a mock up) were to be included.  One such simple covered van is on display at the Technical Museum in Berlin - even as a static exhibit I found it chilling to think of the human misery and suffering it must have witnessed.

Here in the UK, a one-off magazine was published recently attempting to cover this very topic: http://www.isubscribe.co.uk/Railways-And-The-Holocaust-Trains-That-Shamed-The-World-Magazine-Subscription.cfm.  It is a difficult subject to tackle.  Despite its sensitive treatment and an introduction by Rabbi Walter Rothschild, there are some reaches where our hobby seems shallow and irrelevant.

Archived