Art Deco in Loco Design

Claude_Dreyfus

• RMweb Premium

At last...hurrah! I have taken delivery of my much anticipated EF55-1, purchased from Hobby World in Japan.

post-6831-12627339729131_thumb.jpg

This is a locomotive I have been after ever since I saw a picture of it about 5/10 years ago, but really I'm not sure why. It's not very good looking in the classical sense, nor is it very practicle operationally; but I still love it. I think it may be because it just looks to be such a throw-back to an earlier age; Art Deco almost, and certainly looks like it should have come from the 1930's - which of course it did (1936).

Prototypically, this was used on the Tokaido main line running south from Tokyo, and was a class of three members. They only lasted about 20 years in service mainly because they needed to be turned between duties - they are like a very early class 91, with the streamlined cab at one end and flat at the other (no push-pull in 1930s Japan). One (EF55-3) was broken up immediately, whilst a second (EF55-2) was kept as a source of spares for the doyen - EF55-1. EF55-2 was scapped during the 60s or 70s leaving EF55-1 as the sole survivor.

I have yet to run it, but will endeavour to over the next day or so.

I have a suitable Suro 81 set for it to haul in its 'renovated' condition, so plenty of railtour work awaits it on our layout. Added bonus for me modelling modern day Japan... it was only finally withdrawn from charter work last year...

A picture of the prototype; pinched off Wikipedia...post-6831-12627362842909_thumb.jpeg

Archived