Australia - Preservation Scene

DavidB-AU

Indeed, why not.  I do think though, that the appearance of the locomotive should be representative of the appearance of the locomotive while it was in active service, or at least representative of other members of the class in active service, if the preserving organisation purports to be a museum.  Obviously though, not all others share that view, hence the blue rebuilt 3526.

Mind you, I don't think I would want to see a preserved Standard Goods decked out in the manner that 5135 was in this photograph I took of 3046 and 5135 at Broadmeadow in May of 1970, even if it did look like that in active service:

29993954582_809c84b035_c.jpg

What about Dubbo who repainted 3144T in light green with red splashes and lining and 3028T in blue with yellow lining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some sad news, ARHS ACT has gone into voluntary administration and Canberra Railway Museum has closed. Operational steam locos 6029 and 3016 have been relocated to Thirlmere for storage. 4403 and 4807, owned by Transport Heritage NSW and part of the State Rail Heritage core collection, have been returned to Eveleigh.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-18/canberra-railway-museum-closes-doors/8037072

http://citynews.com.au/2016/canberra-railway-museum-steam/

Cheers

David

Some sad news, ARHS ACT has gone into voluntary administration and Canberra Railway Museum has closed. Operational steam locos 6029 and 3016 have been relocated to Thirlmere for storage. 4403 and 4807, owned by Transport Heritage NSW and part of the State Rail Heritage core collection, have been returned to Eveleigh.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-18/canberra-railway-museum-closes-doors/8037072

http://citynews.com.au/2016/canberra-railway-museum-steam/

Cheers

David

Sad news.  We were in Canberra three weeks ago (one of my daughters and her husband live in Belconnen) and almost stopped off at the museum but ran out of time.  I thought it was something that we could put off until our next visit but it appears that this may not be the case. Do we know who the liquidators are?  I know a couple of ASIC registered liquidators - if it's someone I know I might see what I can find out.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I took a trip to the ARHS Museum in Bassendean Today.

I will put up some photos over the next few days.

First up some Locomotives.

post-23233-0-42227600-1499852131.jpg

post-23233-0-77436600-1499852132.jpg

post-23233-0-62595200-1499852133.jpg

post-23233-0-11728800-1499852138.jpg

post-23233-0-12976500-1499852139.jpg

post-23233-0-24312300-1499852137.jpg

The Final one above is of S549 which is undergoing overhaul in order to run tourist trains around the WA Wheatbelt.

The group have already obtained an EX WAGR AB Diesel (courtesy of Aurizon) and have been donated an old wheatbin at Minnivale by CBH to be converted into a Rolling stock storage shed and quite a bit of trackwork has also been done. The project has been supported by several Local Government Shires.

More Pictures to come later. :)

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 4

Some preserved West Australian Govt Railways Coaching stock.

These are also at Bassendean.

post-23233-0-47785300-1499872032.jpg

The Buffet Car for the "Australind" (which travelled to Bunbury in the Sth. West)

post-23233-0-78707400-1499872022.jpg

Interior of Australind Buffet Car

post-23233-0-56777000-1499872024.jpg

Copper and Stainless sign in the Buffet Car

post-23233-0-55695800-1499872020.jpg

2nd Class sleeper car (pretty basic sleeper accommodation)

post-23233-0-05497800-1499872029.jpg

Not sure what this coach was built for but possibly the commissioners coach

It was pretty flash inside.

post-23233-0-20240400-1499872027.jpg

Inside of the coach above, check out the wood paneling.

post-23233-0-85751300-1499872018.jpg

The Royal carriage (last used by the queen mother in the '50s)

again check out that amazing cabinetry work !

post-23233-0-54454000-1499872016.jpg

Corridor on Royal carriage

post-23233-0-83993800-1499872030.jpg

Interior of old suburban coach (these were still in use in the late 80's at peak times

and were usually hauled by something like  a C or A class Diesel)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I took a trip to the ARHS Museum in Bassendean Today.

I will put up some photos over the next few days.

First up some Locomotives.

attachicon.gifP1010001.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010002.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010003.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010018.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010019.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010012.JPG

The Final one above is of S549 which is undergoing overhaul in order to run tourist trains around the WA Wheatbelt.

The group have already obtained an EX WAGR AB Diesel (courtesy of Aurizon) and have been donated an old wheatbin at Minnivale by CBH to be converted into a Rolling stock storage shed and quite a bit of trackwork has also been done. The project has been supported by several Local Government Shires.

More Pictures to come later. :)

I read recently that East Perth station has been rebuilt. Is the preserved steam loco still there?

Some preserved West Australian Govt Railways Coaching stock.

These are also at Bassendean.

attachicon.gifP1010039.JPG

The Buffet Car for the "Australind" (which travelled to Bunbury in the Sth. West)

attachicon.gifP1010024.JPG

Interior of Australind Buffet Car

attachicon.gifP1010028.JPG

Copper and Stainless sign in the Buffet Car

attachicon.gifP1010022.JPG

2nd Class sleeper car (pretty basic sleeper accommodation)

attachicon.gifP1010030.JPG

Not sure what this coach was built for but possibly the commissioners coach

It was pretty flash inside.

attachicon.gifP1010029.JPG

Inside of the coach above, check out the wood paneling.

attachicon.gifP1010021.JPG

The Royal carriage (last used by the queen mother in the '50s)

again check out that amazing cabinetry work !

attachicon.gifP1010020.JPG

Corridor on Royal carriage

attachicon.gifP1010031.JPG

Interior of old suburban coach (these were still in use in the late 80's at peak times

and were usually hauled by something like  a D or A class Diesel)

I do like the interior of the buffet car.

• Like 2

a couple of weeks ago I was up at Daylesford Spa. it is quite a thriving little area. The market (it was sunday) was variable from "skip worthy"  to really nice Honey! (we have a jar of Mallee honey which is lovely on toast!) WE did jump on the rail motor out to Bularto and back. which was very nice. I can see this line making it to Lyonville and then to Trentham which will liven up the entire area. Actually I like Trentham for the time I was there, it is more of a untouched Aussie town before the arrival of 20 coffee shops etc. I was interested in one of the pubs as it was obviously dating from 1880's or there abouts. Which had grown over the years but retained some of the period features externally. 

Another week end in the future we need to head back there for another sticky beak around, as Ms DougN missed out as she was busy with her Choir committments, which was one reason why we were up there to see her perform. She wants to go and have a look around too. IF we do head up that way I think we may go through Trentham and then over to Maldon and Castlemaine for the preserved line and a steam train. 

• Like 3

I read recently that East Perth station has been rebuilt. Is the preserved steam loco still there?

I do like the interior of the buffet car.

The last time I went past East Perth station, or what used to be known at the Westrail Centre, there was piles of interior and office furniture stacked up on the platform. So I think they are giving it a facelift inside. I assume it's used by other parties now that Westrail has ceased to exist. I don't know if the sectioned steam loco is still in the foyer, but I might take a trip down there for a look.

The Preserved engine on the Plinth is still there, it was recently partly stripped and had all it's asbestos removed, but is now back together. It's an S class like the one being restored above (cant remember the number off the top of my head) but it's named Bakewell (they were named after West Aussie Mountains / hills). The one above is Greenmount.

The Buffet car just screams late 50's / early 60's doesn't it? It always reminds me of the diners in Happy Days or American Graffiti :D.

I love it.

• RMweb Premium

a couple of weeks ago I was up at Daylesford Spa. it is quite a thriving little area. The market (it was sunday) was variable from "skip worthy"  to really nice Honey! (we have a jar of Mallee honey which is lovely on toast!) WE did jump on the rail motor out to Bularto and back. which was very nice. I can see this line making it to Lyonville and then to Trentham which will liven up the entire area. Actually I like Trentham for the time I was there, it is more of a untouched Aussie town before the arrival of 20 coffee shops etc. I was interested in one of the pubs as it was obviously dating from 1880's or there abouts. Which had grown over the years but retained some of the period features externally. 

Another week end in the future we need to head back there for another sticky beak around, as Ms DougN missed out as she was busy with her Choir committments, which was one reason why we were up there to see her perform. She wants to go and have a look around too. IF we do head up that way I think we may go through Trentham and then over to Maldon and Castlemaine for the preserved line and a steam train. 

Trentham Falls are worth seeing Doug.

• RMweb Premium

The last time I went past East Perth station, or what used to be known at the Westrail Centre, there was piles of interior and office furniture stacked up on the platform. So I think they are giving it a facelift inside. I assume it's used by other parties now that Westrail has ceased to exist. I don't know if the sectioned steam loco is still in the foyer, but I might take a trip down there for a look.

The Preserved engine on the Plinth is still there, it was recently partly stripped and had all it's asbestos removed, but is now back together. It's an S class like the one being restored above (cant remember the number off the top of my head) but it's named Bakewell (they were named after West Aussie Mountains / hills). The one above is Greenmount.

The Buffet car just screams late 50's / early 60's doesn't it? It always reminds me of the diners in Happy Days or American Graffiti :D.

I love it.

Yes, it was Bakewell I had in mind. A nice surprise to see that as we stepped off the Indian Pacific a few years ago.

If you like that style of diner, try Bernie's Diner at Moss Vale in the NSW Southern Highlands next time you are in that neck of the woods.

post-23233-0-25753100-1500557850.jpg

Recently I took a bit of a wander around York in the WA Wheatbelt.

At one time this was the terminus of the WAGR Eastern railway until it was extended another 35 k or so to Beverley in the 1880's to meet up with the (then) privately owned Great Southern Railway to Albany Port.

Northam was just a small depot tacked on to the end of a branchline from Spencers Brook Jct. NW of York.

Eventually when the Eastern Line was extended, ultimately to Kalgoorlie via the Eastern Goldfields Railway it was a toss up if it was to be from York or Northam.

Northam won out and the mainline to Kalgoorlie went via there.

With the building of the new Port at Fremantle and less goods coming and going via the Port at Albany, York and the GSR became less important.

The once substantial Yard slowly disappeared over time until the depot was finally closed in the 70's. The last passenger service came through in 1978 and was the Albany Progress.

Nowadays the area that was previously The York Yard is mostly taken up by the re aligned football ground and apart from the main, only a loop and a single dead end remain and any remaining area has had the rail lifted and Brookfield's store ballast and sleepers there. The old Station building is preserved and is a private dwelling. Also a few disused items like the goods yard crane remain.

A little further South there is a decent sized grain siding and also the Self Restoring points for the Now closed Quairading line.

post-23233-0-74088100-1500557848.jpg

The Old Station with part of the old Yard in the foreground

post-23233-0-17167700-1500557851.jpg

More of the old Goods Yard with a crane still standing

post-23233-0-05729100-1500557852.jpg

looking South towards Narrogin and Albany, there is an old Flour Mill just to right of picture that was also serviced by the Railway

post-23233-0-95602200-1500557852.jpg

Looking North towards Spencers Brook / Northam. That's Mount Bakewell in the Background, the Plinthed S class Steam Engine at East Perth Station is named after it.

post-23233-0-22003800-1500557854.jpg

The old Flour Mill - now used for a multitude of small businesses and cafes

post-23233-0-16367000-1500557855.jpg

Distant View of the CBH grain siding just South of the townsite

post-23233-0-29914700-1500557856.jpg

Closer view of the siding. The Self restoring point indicators  for the closed Quairading line can be seen to the right of the picture (two black triangles that illuminate when an approaching train completes the circuit )

post-23233-0-28392000-1500561691.png

Blow up of Self Restorers and Indicators

• Like 3

On Sunday 30th July the Sydney Tramway Museum will be hosting a special event to commemorate 80 years since the closure of the Kogarah steam tramway and it's replacement with trolleybuses. On display we'll have the only surviving Kogarah trolleybus, and a very special guest exhibit, Sydney steam tram motor No.1A.

https://www.sydneytramwaymuseum.com.au

1A belongs to the Powehouse Museum, and they've generously loaned it to us for six months. After that it will return to storage at Castle Hill. So if you get the chance, come on down to Loftus on Sunday and see something truly unique.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by dullsteamer
  • Like 2

1A arrived at Loftus this afternoon just after 3.00pm, and was soon unloaded. The trailer it travelled on belongs to a museum member, and is equipped with rails on the deck to accommodate railway and tramway vehicles. Once 1A was off the truck it was shunted into the display hall in a complex move, using ballast motor 99U, O car 1111 and C car 29. It was placed nearest the entry to the display hall on 8 road, so it willl be the first thing visitors see when they walk in.

The plan for Saturday is to refit some parts that were removed for transport such as roof fittings and the plough lifeguards and trip gates, and then clean her up. More photos tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark.

gallery_22_222_381531.jpg

gallery_22_222_967526.jpg

gallery_22_222_810777.jpg

(L to R) The steam team: Bill, Ralph, Craig, Dave, Bryce, Andrew, Martin and Scott.

gallery_22_222_120080.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Bryce Pender)

Edited by dullsteamer
  • Like 4