009 Gauge Scrathbuilding

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on scratchbuilding as I'm building a model of the Welshpool and Llandfair Light railway No 85 Hunslet 2-6-2T and I need help making the chassis.

What do I need?

How do i do it?

As you can tell i'm a complete novice at this, but if anyone has any relevant information on this i would be very thankful.

Here is a pic of the loco in question;

no_85_at_llanfair_green.jpg

Thanks

Jordan

I dont want to put you off scratchbuilt 2-6-2 chassis in OO9 would be ambitious for a first attempt in scratchbuilding.

An etched brass kit for a simple 0-4-0 in OO9 or a larger scale might be a better option to gain experience in chassis building.

Its probably a better proposition to buy a book on scratchbuilding than explain the process on a forum such as RM Web.

John Aherns Miniature Locomotive Construction http://www.amazon.com/Miniature-Locomotive-Construction-John-Ahern/dp/0853440751 although dated is an excellent guide to scratchbuilding locos and covers narrow gauge and outside framed locos. Guy Williams Model Locomotives in 4mm is more detaied and up to date.

• RMweb Premium

There's a good article on scratchbuilding an 009 loco body in styrene in the current (July 2013) issue of Railway Modeller. It uses the Farish 08 chassis with cylinders and valve gear from RT Models, which would also be a good fit for No. 85.

Using a RTR chassis for a starter project would save an awful lot of time, money, heartache, heavies and brain cells :)

There are a lot of potential candidates: the old minitrix ivatt, the newish Dapol ivatt, GF and Farish prairie tanks, the Farish 3MT, or if you were feeling ambitious you could probably jig up a GF 08 with pony wheels and valve gear from RT models.

There is a very remote possibility that backwoods might be able to sell you the frets for their Russell chassis, which is a pretty close match . But bear in mind that they are not part suppliers, so you may have to buy the whole kit (although once you've accounted for the wheels, gearbox, and motor for a scratch build project, it will probably be more expensive than just buying the Russell kit)

But scratch building is probably a mistake without a bit more experience, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a first project

Thanks guys,

I think your right and I will start with a smaller locomotive (Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0DM Anyone?) but I think Scratchbuilding is a good skill to have, and for me, detail is vital, that's why I would prefer to make my own with correct wheels/running gear/etc...

Thanks for all your comments and I will definitely look those subjects up

Thanks

Jordan

I've made a few narrow gauge locos and I still don't make the chassis. Its not rivet counter perfect but the new class 08 chassis is rather good. Runs really nicely and loows you to do outside frames with relative ease. Add RT Model's jack shaft, piston and lately walschaerts valve gear and pony trucks you can make a large variety of chassis types. I will build a chassis but not after a lot more experience.

Thanks guys, I think your right and I will start with a smaller locomotive (Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0DM Anyone?) but I think Scratchbuilding is a good skill to have, and for me, detail is vital, that's why I would prefer to make my own with correct wheels/running gear/etc... Thanks for all your comments and I will definitely look those subjects up Thanks Jordan

Building the loco in 7mm to run on OO track would probably be a better approach for a first effort in scratchbuilding, due to their size small narrow gauge diesels like Rustons and Simplexes are difficult to motorise in 009.

While plasticard is fairly easy to work with there is a lot to be said for having a go at building a loco in metal and gaining useful experience for a more complex project.

While a large range of components wheels motors, gearboxes etc are available for OO, Backwoods Miniatures produce some small 0-4-0 contractors locos which would be a good starting point to gain experience in loco bulding http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/009kits.htm

Branchlines and the 2mm & N Gauge Societies may alsso be able to help with suitable wheelsets, motors and gears.

• 7 months later...

There's a good article on scratchbuilding an 009 loco body in styrene in the current (July 2013) issue of Railway Modeller. It uses the Farish 08 chassis with cylinders and valve gear from RT Models, which would also be a good fit for No. 85.

I tried using the valve gear/cylinder kit from RT models and to be honest it was not an overall success

Archived