Caledonian Railway Refrigerated Van

Wanted something to test my framework for fitting to Peco N scale chassis and this seemed to be a fun item to try. I'm not 100% sure on the ventilator positions, its not quite clear on the drawings I have if they were at that spacing, but it matches the spacing on other vehicles like the horsebox.

The Caley seems to be remarkably badly represented in N gauge !

post-6740-0-59428700-1370988825.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Really impressed with Shapeways - ordered on the 13th and back in my hands along with other stuff in 2 other different printing technologies including polished stuff on the 24th having left Shapeways on the 21st.

Less impressed with myself. I managed to put the ladder on the wrong side on the other end. On the bright side I've now found some HMRS drawings of the van in its original form which covers some of the hinge and other detail not in the drawings I have (which were produced by Stephen Cunningham in 1955 from one lurking in a field chassis and all but wheels).

There are some other differences between the two in regards to the gubbins on the roof, and a slight difference of opinion on the chassis between a 9' or 10' chassis. Who knows, maybe it had a chassis transplant.

Time for some updating.

Alan

Archived