Interior of cattle wagons - painted on not

raymw

Hi,

My understanding is that around about 1920, they stopped using the lime wash, and used 'proper' disinfectant on the inside of cattle wagons. Were the insides of the wagons painted, or left as bare wood? I can imagine the colour of the floor, but not sure about above waist height :scratchhead:

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your quick reply. I had made  searches, as best I could, but could not find much, other than guesses, as to whether the insides were painted or not. I'm concerned with dates around 1950, or so, not 1930. My guess is also that it would be left as bare wood, but I've found nothing that categorically states that.

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray,

I have several photos in books that clearly show bare wood. These include ex-Midland and ex-LSWR examples in the thirties, but the best set of photos I know of are in Russell's "Freight Wagons and Loads..." These are all GWR and BR(W) examples from the thirties to the fifties and all show wagons either as built or after repairs and repainting. In each case, the inside is bare wood with knots and grain clearly visible. The exception is where the underside of the roof, but not the bracing underneath, appears to be in a light, possibly white, colour. The only examples I know of that look like they could be painted are from before 1926 where the white finish is almost certainly limewash. After all, most paints at that date were lead based and so unlikely to be used for areas with which the beasts could come into contact.

Nick

Archived