Tri-ang X549 Synchrosmoke elements

andyman7

After years when these were relatively easy to obtain, the little smoke fuses for the Tri-ang Synchrosmoke generators now seem to be getting pricey - £12 to £20 each is the current going rate on ebay. This doesn't auger well for the surviving Synchrosmoke locos so does anyone have any idea how difficult it would be to get them re-manufactured? 

The last batch I bought were from Blackwells of Hawkwell in the 1980s and I am now running out  :umbrage:

That's my plan B but wondered if anyone had any tips on the gauge and best way to make up the new elements. I've a couple of burned out ones and was thinking of trying to 're-wind' it as I then have a pop-in replacement. In any case, I can't help thinking tht this is a classic 're-made' part that the collectable spares industry could cook up, a bit like the trade in X67 brushes. I see the notoriously fragile 'Princess' motion bracket is also being re-made these days..   

I solved this problem by disconnecting the smoke unit. Apart from the weak smoke effect (more like diesel fumes!) the oil affects the finish and the heat from the unit doesn't do the plastic any good - my R259S shows the effects inside her boiler - caught in time luckily. I don't know what happened to the wire - it fell out and got lost.

I suspect it is a length of Nichrome wire, but have no definite information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichrome

Do Seuthe have any suitable replacements?

http://www.gaugemaster.com/seuthe.html

I can remember being very annoyed when Tri-ang introduced this (useless IMHO) gimmick around 1962 and the prices of the affected locos increased by around £1, a considerable sum in those days.

I have few locos with working smoke units maintained for novelty/entertainment value - I agree that it is more trouble than it is worth to have them fitted generally. The ones you describe are the early Seuthe fitted units with the little 'smoke pipe' that would often drop out and get lost. The synchrosmoke unit is much better for avoiding melting/heat damage, indeed I have never seen a heat affected synchrosmoke loco, and the heating element resembles a small fuse (which is in fact what I believe it is - the only difference is that it is designed to run just below the rating at which it would blow, generating enough heat to vaporise the oil) .

Archived