Bulbs for Dublo Signals

drgj

• 3 years later...

I just noticed this topic, so sorry for a late reply. - If anybody is interested, the bulbs for Hornby Dublo colour light signals, are still being manufactured !  They are a standard size MS2.8 bulb made by at least one firm. and can be readily bought from most electrical suppliers, Dolls house lighting suppliers etc etc.  ( I believe some Marklin spares firms might have some, as some Marklin equipment use a simillar MS4 bulb.)   and more important, they do only cost about £1 each.

(I have noticed some Dublo spares guys selling them for as much as £19 for four bulbs!).

If you have trouble finding some, i can suggest - 'Blackwells of Hawkwell', who have  plenty of them in stock. You just add a G,R,or AM to the order to denote which colour needed.

That's useful to know, but I have to confess to fitting 3mm LEDs to some of mine*.  Apart from costing very little, they look a lot better and will never need replacement.

Don't forget a 1kohm series resistor (for a 12V DC supply).

* On the basis of working bulbs - leave well alone, not working - LEDs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Its worth checking the bulbs and housings on the signals that are working, as i have found that although lit, due to corrosion on the bulb and the housing, some of these old bulbs will get so hot they are potentially quite dangerous!  These bulbs are 12-16v, 30mA, and if you run them off a 12vDC supply , turned down to about 10v, and are running several light signals, they should last for years and also be a more realistic brightness than running them on AC.

They run quite hot even when everything is in order (another reason for LEDs! - fitted with care, the modification is reversible).

I never liked the way the bulbs stick out from the spectacle plate (is that the right term for a colour light signal?) and never bought any back in the day for that reason. I did have some Trix ones, which have the bulbs (12/14v 75mA!) in the base and illuminate through a light pipe giving a much more realistic effect.

There is a Trix remote signal which has a bulb (a special type in a metal case) mounted on the post. These really need the a lower voltage as they are far too bright as designed and the bulb gets very hot (probably too hot for what is intended as a (well-off - they cost 31/6d IIRC) child's toy), but we were more careful then....

Archived