Moddeling narrow gauge and normal gauge stations

There are prototypes for both. The current Blaenau FFestiniog station has a NG island; the FR/GWR station previously on the site was cross-platform. I think Barnstaple was cross-platform interchange also. Alternatively you could have a 2-level station like Minffordd on the FFestiniog.

• RMweb Premium

Hi There,

If you are interstged in narrow gauge modelling, one of the best moves would be to joing the Narrow Gauge Modelling Online Forum, at http://ngrm-online.com/forums/

You will find it a mine of useful information, advice and opinion, and I highly recomend it.

As to your specific question about platforms, actual side by side same platform interchange was quite rare in Britain; one of the best examples was Barnstaple Town where the Lynton & Barnstaple met the LSWR.  Good illustration towards the bottom of this page:  http://www.barnstapletowncouncil.co.uk/history-of-barnstaple-north-devon.asp  and there were some joint platforms in Ireland, Belturbet on the Cavan & Leitrim Railway springs to mind:  http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20B/Belturbet/slides/Belturbet_20100814_0009_CC.html

More often you would find the narrow gauge station alongside but separate, possibly at a different level.  Couple of pictures of Chirk on the Glyn Valley Tramway on this page:  http://ngruk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/glyn-valley-tramway.html

Waterhouses, on the Leek & Manifold, was similar:  http://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/some-early-lines-the-leek-manifold-light-railway/  as here the narrow gauge was on a steep gradient.

At Halesworth, the Southwold Railway station was separated from the mainline station by part of the goods yard and reached by a footbridge.  At Welshpool, the W&L station was IN the mainline goods yard, accessed accross the station forecourt:  http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/number1050.asp

So there was really no standard example, and goods transfer was much more importrant than passenger convenience.  So if you are designing a freelance SG/NG interchange station, the world is your oyster!

Hope this helps!

Best of luck, Dave.T

Thanks for the help (and sorry about the typo in the title :scratchhead:) The narrow gauge art is only going to be small and I'd much prefer to spend my momey on SG stock. I won't be building this until I move house at Christmas, but hopefully it'll all turn out well!

Thanks again, Will!

Why not use a SG /RTP island or peninsula platform and buildings and raise the trackbed on the NG side so that the platform remains level? You could have a standard platform canopy covering both sides if you so desired

I never thought of that, I think that'd be perfect! Thanks!

Have a platform that gently slopes towards the NG track or have the NG track raised to the SG platform level. As said before, they weren't exactly common, Barnstaple Town is probably your best bet if you want something modellable.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Machynlleth: the Corris used to run right into it I believe, more or less where the car park is (I think), im sure that others on here are better placed than I to supply photos tho

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a platform that gently slopes towards the NG track or have the NG track raised to the SG platform level. As said before, they weren't exactly common, Barnstaple Town is probably your best bet if you want something modellable.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Machynlleth: the Corris used to run right into it I believe, more or less where the car park is (I think), im sure that others on here are better placed than I to supply photos tho

The Corris and Cambrian had separate stations at Machynlleth the narrow gauge station and exchange sidings were on the North side and at a lower level than the standard gauge line.

In Austria platforms were relatively rare when the ng was at its height, all passengers descended to ground level so it did not really matter ... at Garsten interchange was at ground level (Steyrtalbahn); at St. Poelten (Mariazellerbahn) and Waidhofen (Ybbstalbahn) the ng 'facilities' were a pick up point in the car park although the Mzb. was brought into the station when it was rebuilt after wartime bombing, the ng trackbed was higher so that all platform tops were level. Wish I had the room to model the sg connection for my invented line!

The Corris and Cambrian had separate stations at Machynlleth the narrow gauge station and exchange sidings were on the North side and at a lower level than the standard gauge line.

According to Boyd, porters on the Cambrian station would direct intending Corris passengers to 'Platform 13'!

Originally the Corris line wasn't a terminus as the horse tramway extended under the sg line and then along to the wharf at Derwenlas; much of the formation of this line is still visible, and the blocked-up arch under the sg line is very obvious. The Corris Railway station itself, of course, is still extant and generally in its original condition.

• RMweb Premium

Originally the Corris line wasn't a terminus as the horse tramway extended under the sg line and then along to the wharf at Derwenlas; much of the formation of this line is still visible, .....

Hi John

That's interesting, please could enlighten us? 

I've looked for the old route but failed to find it.  Spotted one or two possible routes but very uncertain.  I would be fascinated to know more about this section.

Many thanks,

Dave.

Hi John

That's interesting, please could enlighten us? 

I've looked for the old route but failed to find it.  Spotted one or two possible routes but very uncertain.  I would be fascinated to know more about this section.

Many thanks,

Dave.

The Corris was originally intended for horse haulage as far as wharves on the south side of the Dyfi at Derwenlas, but the section between Mach and Derwenlas effectively became redundant when the Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast line (later the Cambrian Railways main line) was built. Shipping from Derwenlas continued for a brief while with the tramway crossing the Cambrian line on the level near the wharf; you can still see the Corris formation from the sg train if you know where to look, and I've been assured that as recently as the 1990s the early down train used to make a daily but completely unofficial stop nearby to pick up children heading for secondary school in Aber. As the Corris was the senior line, the Cambrian warned its drivers to keep a lookout for horse traffic crossing their track and to yield to it!

Inevitably the wharves were quickly abandoned - they were really only accessible at fairly high water anyway - and from then on the slate all went on the Cambrian, and the old formation west of Mach was abandoned. It was very easy to follow the old line out of Mach until a few years ago when the main road was realigned, wiping out much of the old course. I understand that stone sleeper blocks still surface from time to time along the old r-o-w!

Archived