Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Can anyone help identify this motor?

Simon G

I recently acquired this motor as part of a job lot of non-working motors.  I have got it working OK, but dont know what it is.  The style is very similar to the Triang Blue Pullman and DMU power bogies, and a lot of the components look identical to the Triang motor.  However, the wheel base is shorter than the Triang one.  I think it might be a Kitmaster Blue Pullman motor.  Can anyone help identify it?

post-9029-0-12365900-1371903476_thumb.jpg

It looks like the motor Kitmaster sold to put in their Mk1 coaches in order to propel their unmotorised locos, there was a similar one with a van underframe for goods trains. I don't recollect any being produced with blue pullman sideframes but I could be wrong. NB Kitmaster blue pullmans had the correct sideframes, unlike the Triang ones. Kitmaster mark 1 bogies were all about a mm short.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I now have one too from a random s/h boxed lot, but in a compromised condition, despite being packed in its original box. The pole pieces are not anchored rigidly to the bogie, so foul the armature. With a bit of exterior clamping it has been possible to prove that the thing is a runner - the armature windings as bright as the day of manufacture, worms and gears look unworn - but it appears to have been modified to improve the electrical circuit. Disassembly looks as though I am going to have to unsolder the baseplate, and deal with whatever has been done, or left undone?, inside. Anyone able to describe or show how the pole pieces were anchored to the bogie frame before I physically pull it apart in a quest to repair or terminally ruin?

The simpler alternative is just to offer it as a set of components for parts if there is any demand for these. Opinions?

One unused currently on ebay with 4 hours left    

It sold for £26, which surprised me.  I havent any use for mine, so I put it into the Classified section of RMWEB.

I now have one too from a random s/h boxed lot, but in a compromised condition, despite being packed in its original box. The pole pieces are not anchored rigidly to the bogie, so foul the armature. With a bit of exterior clamping it has been possible to prove that the thing is a runner - the armature windings as bright as the day of manufacture, worms and gears look unworn - but it appears to have been modified to improve the electrical circuit. Disassembly looks as though I am going to have to unsolder the baseplate, and deal with whatever has been done, or left undone?, inside. Anyone able to describe or show how the pole pieces were anchored to the bogie frame before I physically pull it apart in a quest to repair or terminally ruin?

The simpler alternative is just to offer it as a set of components for parts if there is any demand for these. Opinions?

I still have it, as it hasnt yet sold in the Classifieds.  I have taken another photo and attached it, which might help you.  Unlike the Triang power bogies, the pole pieces do not seem to touch the sides of the bogie frame.  The 'braided' wire at the bottom of the photo is pretty firmly lodged between the pole pieces and frame, but I dont imagine that it is helping to hold the whole thiong in place. The base plate is held pretty firmly in place by the attached wires, so taking the two screws out didnt help me to get a better picture.  Like you, I would probably have to do some soldering to remove the base plate.  Please let me know if I can help with any more photos.

post-9029-0-26121500-1374001299_thumb.jpg

Simon, that's very helpful. Mine looks just the same, including what I had interpreted as a piece of user added yellow insulating tape and a modification that had left the wire with the braided cover jammed beneath. So I will take it apart when I have some free time: it's a non-runner at present so the only way is up.

Edited for update:

it's a runner, or at least a rattler. Hilariously the brass bolt which goes from side to side and holds the pole pieces on the magnet had broken, and a 'repair' had been made with Seccotine or similar. A new 8BA bolt is now holding it all together rather better so that the armature doesn't actually make contact with the pole pieces, and it has rattled into life. Still very floppy though, the whole top assembly rocks on the bogie frames, and there appears to be no positive anchorage for the bottom of the pole pieces in the bogie frame to overcome this. Also one wheelset is well past sell by date, so this may have to be flogged as 'for spares'.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Still very floppy though, the whole top assembly rocks on the bogie frames, and there appears to be no positive anchorage for the bottom of the pole pieces in the bogie frame to overcome this. Also one wheelset is well past sell by date, so this may have to be flogged as 'for spares'.

Having finally got around to dismantling this item, the pole pieces 'anchorage' to the frame is no more than a pair of very shallow mortice and tenon joints. Whoever took it apart to bump out the wheelsets to 16.5 b-t-b had deformed the pole pieces enough to leave the assembly flopping about. Now araldited, should be solid enough.

Archived