GWR Wagon drawings

Hi.
I posted this request initially under Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding, but then after looking around the site (I'm new to this) I thought it would be better here.

Does anyone have a dimensioned drawing for a GWR wagon axle guard as fitted to open goods wagons between c1895 and 1905 – the type of axle guard used with a grease axle box (not the later OK oil box). I’ve checked the usual well known GWR wagon books, various web sites, the HMRS, and the NRM OPC microfilms, but can only find GA's and full wagon drawings, whereas I’m looking for a ‘detail drawing’ for this early axle guard. The GWR wagon drawing collection at the NRM are currently unavailable, they are being catalogued. 
Would it be worth me visiting Didcot, have they got any wagons with grease boxes?
I'm looking to have some 7mm axle guards (sprung) etched, hence the search for the dimensions.

Cheers

Tony

That’s right. However, photographs show open goods wagons with grease boxes were running around in 1906, my period of interest. I’m actually a Midland modeller (O gauge), but I must include some non Midland wagons on the layout. So I’m building a handful of the Cooper Craft GWR open wagons kits for starters. They are nice accurate kits, but like the MR stock on the layout they will need to be modified and fitted with etched axle guards (W irons) and sprung axle boxes, and being an early design of wagon I’ll model them as built, with grease boxes - a challenge.

Archived