Model Rail in Estonia

PNEYorkshire

Morning all,

I'll be moving to Tallinn at the end of August for 9 months and I've done a quick google search into model railway possibilities there...and have drawn a blank.

Does anyone know of anything model rail related there that I might be able to pursue? I was hoping to busy myself with a small layout project but it doesn't appear to be a 'done' thing there.

Any suggestions?  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Hi PNEYorkshire,

Not in Tallinn but might I suggest a weekend trip to Helsinki and the Finnish national railway museum in Hyvinkaa.

It will probably have to be a full weekend of a trip but whilst you're in that neck of the woods - why not?

Enjoy the (overnight) ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki.

Take the train from Helsinki's main terminus to Hyvinkaa. (About an hour if I remember rightly.)

Get off the train and walk to the museum. One to two hours should do it - around the museum that is!

Walk back to Hyvinkaa's station and eat in the excellent café that is housed in the restored station buildings.

Spend the rest of the day in Helsinki and return on the next ferry.

To give you a taste of what's at Hyvinkaa look at posts 13 onwards in this thread:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55884-sources-for-finnish-steam/

Kev.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived